Found cat on doorstep. Is it Sick?

brentcatoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last Monday while leaving my house I noticed that there was a cat on the front doorstep, I went up to it and it didnt try to run away, it came up to me and brushed up against my leg and meowed. She looked skinny, her belly though is a little large. I dont think she is pregnant though. She let me press on her belly and feel around and I didnt feel and kittens and I didnt hear any with a stethoscope. I fed her some milk, she consumned the whole bowl and then she ate a whole can of wet dog food that I put down for her. I noticed later that night though that she had diarrhea. It would just drip from her behind. Every once in a while she would turn around a lick her rear clean. This is still going on today. I thought that she might have worms so I went out and bought a bottle of sergeants cat wormer. and I gave her 3/4's of a teaspoon of it. I havent seen her pass any worms yet but she stays outside and I am not around all of the time to watch her. If she does have worms though isnt she just getting re-infected if she turns around and licks herself. What should I do? Does it sound like she has worms, or something else? I stopped giving her milk and have been given her some wet and dry food mixed together at night and in the morning. Could the diarrhea just be caused by her not eating anything for however long then me finding her and feeding her? Oh yeah I forgot to say that she is a Polydactyl.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my! First of all, thank you for caring, but please get this cat to the vet ! The product that you used on her is sometimes not very safe and if she is pregnant- and she very well could be, than a vet needs to look at her, and then find out if she has worms, what type of worms she has and properly address it.

As sad as it is to say a lot of over-the-counter products that claim to help pets, inadvertently end up hurting them. She had diarrhea more than likely because you fed her wet dog food. She needs dry and wet cat food in order to supply her with what her body needs. She really really needs a vet, and be sure to let the vet know what product you used (if possible take it with you).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brentcatoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going to take it to the vet as early as I can next week. I am going to call them tomorrow. The only day I gave it dog food was the fist day, since then I have been giving it wet and dry cat food. Hopefully there isnt anything seriously wrong with her, and hopefully she is not pregnant. I plan on keeping her. I dont know if she is a runaway or got lost or what, and if she isnt spayed I am goign to get that done also.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OOO! I love polydactys. My parents have one now and I had one growing up.

I'm glad you will be taking her to the vet and plan on taking care of her. Good luck! I'm sending some prayers up for her!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your obviously a very kind person and thank you for taking this cat in!

just wanted to add that before you adopt her please ring round a few vets/rescue shelters to make sure shes not a lost or run away pet with very worried owners out there somewhere

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milk could make her tummy upset - most cats are lactose intolerant and cannot deal with cows' milk. Giver her Kiitten Replacement milk from a petstore, or goats' milk. If she is very undernourished you can beat an egg yolk into it. Most cats love that. Good luck and you are wonderful for taking her in and caring for her.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by brentcatoe

I am going to take it to the vet as early as I can next week. I am going to call them tomorrow. The only day I gave it dog food was the fist day, since then I have been giving it wet and dry cat food. Hopefully there isnt anything seriously wrong with her, and hopefully she is not pregnant. I plan on keeping her. I dont know if she is a runaway or got lost or what, and if she isnt spayed I am goign to get that done also.
Thanks for caring for this cat....if you need a low cost clinic....click this link:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Scroll down until you find your state and click on it. That will provide you a lst of low cost spay/neuter clinics in your state.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brentcatoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Update*
I took it to the vet today and he said that she has hookworms, he gave me some anti-diarrheal medicine, antibiotic, wormer and an ointment. Hopefully she gets better soon.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update!
What a smart kitty to have chosen you!

{{{ Prayers & healing vibes}}} that she regains complete health soon. Bless you for caring for her, through her uncomfortable illness & all. What a hero!