Found baby kitten

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the covered litter boxes are so big lol and she cant get in them. but she finally is starting to go in the medium sized on and i think she might be able to scramble in that one. the people at the pet store said the innova was better than the blue? because those were the two i waa going in to look at. guess ill do some more research! =]
Ah that makes sense on the covered box! And the Innova may very well be better than the regular Blue Buffalo food. I was referring to their specific grain-free formula (which if I'm not mistaken is the BLUE line). The Innova does not look bad as far as dry foods go, minus the fact it is not grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they only need meat in their diets to survive. This is why cat food is recommended in this order because it is best for their health: a raw diet (which is not feasible for everyone), a 100% wet food diet, a wet/dry split (has to be all timed feeding to avoid overfeeding), 100% grain free dry, high quality dry with minimal grain (where you are), then the other junk (meat by product and corn gluten meal). 

Feeding her dry IMO doesn't mean you don't care for her. It is the route I go because a 100%  raw/wet is not an option for me right now, and my girl won't go for the wet/dry split. I am a full time student with jobs (yes that is plural) so my schedule is constantly changing and I can't guarantee I can be home for timed feedings. I don't feel it is fair to her to constantly change her schedule as well. I believe you mentioned school starting so you may be in a similar boat as me. Just go for the best quality you can afford that fits your lifestyle. In a perfect world we could all do a raw diet, but in a perfect world we wouldn't be caring for rescued cats that wouldn't have a home otherwise. Make the best of what you have and you'll do right by her! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
definitely! in a perrect world where i had a free schedule and unlimited money she would be on a raw food diet with an out door cat explorium (not sure what theyre actually called) and other kitties to play with and id have my pit bull rescue and id be living comfortably ans actually have a car haha. and you wouldnt be working job(S)! but....its not =[ so...im trying my best! =]

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I think you are doing a fantastic job so give yourself credit. You do more than most by even taking the time to think about what you are feeding her. I do have to correct myself- the Blue Buffalo grain free is their Wilderness line, not the Blue line. My apologies for disseminating the wrong information. I was responding while at job number one waiting for my case to get called (the court as always was running behind) and didn't double check until I got to job number two. 

And I sure dig the word "explorium." I think they are more commonly known as cat enclosures or cat runs, but from now on I am adopting explorium. It sounds way more adventurous and fun! I would kill to have one for my girl. One day I will but for now she will have to settle for her small arsenal of cat toys, trees, and occasional supervised visits on the balcony. 

I love that you work with pit bulls. They are one of my favorite breeds but sadly I live in a state with ridiculous breed bans. Working hard to fight against it, but we have had very little movement in our BSL. I firmly believe there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Good for you for fighting the good fight!

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol! yes cat run....i told the hubby ill be putting up to work to give her some vertical climbing shelves and such around the house. though its not going to be as crazy as the whoooole house as one big cat walkway like ive seen on some of these tv shows. thats too crazy lol.

and thats ok about the food! completely understand. being busy happens and mistakes are definitely a biggie in my life.

as for the pitbulls...its such a shame the laws against them. did you follow the story on lennox in belfast? poor baby. i still say he died long ago or hia health was in such terrible shape that he just had to be put down. they needed a cover up for how he was treated. my pit is the most loving furbaby ever. she is our kittys new mama and she is my 15 month olds best friend. i couldnt imagine having a better dog. but sadly people only hear the bad from the news. my family knows how my dog is andSTILL trashes pits. -smdh-

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even just giving her a few vertical shelves can make a huge difference and double the amount of space she has. And, if you have bookcases or dressers she will likely figure out a way to climb up onto those so either move your valuables or secure them until you learn where she will go and she learns where things are. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right about Lennox. There was no reason for the judge to rule otherwise, especially given the wide margin of discretion he had. I was following the story but I live in the Denver Metro Area so our news has obviously been dominated by the movie theatre shooting a few miles away from me so I hadn't heard that the judge finally ruled (Honestly I haven't watched the news  the past few days because it just freaks me out too much and you can't live scared all the time). It sickens me he ruled that way. Poor Lennox and his family. 

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i wont watch the news. i follow what i want on facebook and i check the weather on google. stuff is too sad these days. i have enough depressing stuff going on in my life without adding more that i cant handle or do anything about. it just amazes me how EVIL people can be.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreed! I watch what I need to for my job but other than that I try not to because it just bums me out. Since there are no legislative sessions happening right now I don't really need to watch at all! It's a nice break. 

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kush has diahrea again =[ vet dont seem to know whats up unless its worms but her tests are coming back negative. she was on antibiotics and nothing in her schedule has changed. shes still been eating some wet food and her formula from a dish. she wont take her bottle at all anymore she wants her dish. she was doing good using her litter box but with the runs she was going on the carpet again. i just dont get it. shes acting fine. shes still playful and everything. she went from completelt constipated to squirting liquid out her bum to normal to runny poo now. its completelt back and forth with her. whats going on?!?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the vet tested her specifically for giardia and coccidia? They are not always included in routine tests but can cause exactly the symptoms Kush has? I had two abandoned kittens years ago with these paraistes and it took three courses of Metronidazole to cure them fully. good vibes, as ever:vibes::vibes:

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the coccidia was definitely included. im going to have to wait a little while to go back. multiple vet visits in less than 3 weeks plus everything else we are going throughi tking its toll. we barely made rent this month.

shes not having any real symptoms besides the runs. shes playful and is running around the house. she eats and drinks fine. no water yet but she is still drinking lots of formula and i waa givinf her wet food but i heard that blending kitten food with formula might stop the runs? she was so stopped up and now she got the runs and isgoing al over the carpet. =[

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a similar thread going on under, "Kitten dehydrated, not eating" that might help. 

You should call and ask the vet exactly what they tested for. I would explain her symptoms over the phone and since they have already seen her they may be able to prescribe some antibiotics that you can just pick up that may cover some of these illnesses. 

Also, try feeding her a mix of cooked white rice mixed with all meat baby food (either chicken or turkey works well). You can cook off the rice in advance and then heat up a little in the microwave. Add the baby food and some warm water. Yum Yum! The starch in the rice really helps with diarrhea. 

kushmama89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i still have clavamox. i had more than i needed for her week on them and she just got off a few days sgo. they tested for all the worms and coccidia. im wondering if shes eating too much wet food too fast. im gonna do the rice and baby food and see how that goes.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never fed a 100% wet diet so I don't know but I would think that could be very rich to such a tiny stomach that's not used to it- especially if she's inhaling her food. I would try the rice and baby food just to give her some starch to balance her out. If that calms her belly down, then maybe mix her wet food with the rice until you gradually get her back on just wet. If you do it that way and her tummy explodes again on the wet then you know for sure it's something with the food- either too rich or maybe a food allergy. If the diarrhea is consistent on the rice and baby food mix then it's probably an indication that she still has some sort of bug/infection. 

Keep us posted!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet if they tested for Giardia. That's one that's been suggested that you haven't acknowledged. The symptoms would be similar I believe. Hope she feels better.

Last edited: