Found a stray this afternoon; pupils look strange

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a type of uveitis/iris atrophy.

http://users.silenceisdefeat.com/mindful/data/07440745.html

This poor little kitty needs to be seen and examined by a vet, asap.

Thank you for taking little one into your home :) He really needs someone to love and care for him.

The one thing I CAN say for sure is, try to keep him out of bright light of any type, as he is unable to constrict his pupils.

Last edited:

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I agree the pupils are odd looking. Almost looks like Feline Corneal Sequestra but not sure...I would get the cat into your vets ASAP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

holly benton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much!  He seems like such an affectionate cat... but he is VERY hungry.  He is very thin.  Any suggestions on the best way to get his weight back up to par?  Certain foods or amounts to feed... number of times a day, etc.?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's likely abandoned since he is so friendly, poor guy :(( That always makes me so sad.

I would leave out some decent dry food, not sure how your finances are but decent is Natural Balance, great is Evo, or Blue Buffalo, there are several that are really great. Grain free is even better.

Canned, depends on what he will eat, but even fancy feast pates (classics) are fine.

Canned twice a day (1/2 and 1/2) and leave dry for him. Lots of fresh water.

Yes, have vet look at his eyes and diagnose. Deworm, de-flea and give an fvrcp vaccine.

He will be good to go :))

Well okay, neutering is top on the list!

treasur04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feed him !!! Like "Catwoman707" says, leave dry down for him all the time !!! After a day or two (or a few), he will finally realize that his food will always be there, and he'll gradually become less 'desperate' for food.   To be even more beneficial, buy a "Kitten" formula dry food; .... it has the "extra" nutrition that growing kittens need, and extra "good" calories ! So whenever you get a "sick" or "malnourished" cat that needs a little "extra", always get a "kitten" food. It, also, tends to be made into small, easily swallowed, pieces; which really helps if you have a very old cat, or one with 'dental', or mouth problems. Because if they can't "chew" the pieces, they can still swallow them whole, and they still get the benefit of the nutrition. I've found "Purina One, Kitten" dry food to be excellent, if you can't afford the higher priced ones, and most cats and kittens just "Love" it ! He DEFINITELY NEEDS to see a vet !!! (A good vet)! If pressure is built up in his eyes, he is in excruciating pain ! Keep in mind that he's probably blind, and keep his 'territory' limited, and his food, water and litter box in the same spot, so he'll become more secure with his surroundings. #1 thing he needs .... is LOVE, LOVE and more LOVE !!! Good luck with him. Carol Walker

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor lil thing! If you can, take him to the vet and have it examined if you feel you can take on this little guy for life.  He could have been abandoned by it's previous owners due to his sight issues.

holly benton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate so very much all of the advice you have all given me.  I hadn't thought to you kitten food.  I will certainly look into that when I go to buy food next.  The dry food is there, but she seems to prefer canned food.  He is doing well!  We are finally starting to see some weight gain.  She gets lots and lots of loving from all of us.  She is very calm, content, and loves to snuggle!  :)  If you sit, she is in your lap right away.  haha  We don't mind that at all!  We have officially claimed her as ours, collar with a bell and everything.  My son named her Panther.  She is part of our family now.  Yay us!  We are lucky to have her.  She's such a sweet kitty, and gets along very well with our other animals.

holly benton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet says she thinks it's coloboma (not sure I spelled that right) because there is no drainage from her eyes, it's in both eyes, and it isn't getting bigger, and that it's probably something she inherited.  She said it wouldn't really cause any health problems and explains why she seems to have trouble seeing.  She said it can cause blurred or double vision, so that's probably why she bumps into us when she follows us around the house.  And she will climb up onto things, but she hesitates a lot before getting down.  We usually have to help her get down from the cat tree in the house or the porch railing when she comes outside with us.   

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

she comes outside with us.   
If you let her outside, even supervised, be careful she does not bolt into the street. Much safer to not let her outside.

I hope you will have her fixed too. A cat can have kittens before she is six months old!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
D
Vet says she thinks it's coloboma (not sure I spelled that right) because there is no drainage from her eyes, it's in both eyes, and it isn't getting bigger, and that it's probably something she inherited.  She said it wouldn't really cause any health problems and explains why she seems to have trouble seeing.  She said it can cause blurred or double vision, so that's probably why she bumps into us when she follows us around the house.  And she will climb up onto things, but she hesitates a lot before getting down.  We usually have to help her get down from the cat tree in the house or the porch railing when she comes outside with us.   
Due to impaired vision I would keep her in because if she bolts, she is easy prey due to her vision, or could easily get hit by car.

michi082704

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed I would keep as an indoor kitty, too much risk and you know people can't drive to save their lives. An all black cat would near impossible to see at night as well, and if she can't get out of the way because of the eye sight etc would be bad!