Found a kitten today

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You said she eats better lying in bed than if you hold her and feed her?

If that's that case, if you were holding her like a baby to feed her, that's not a recommended way of feeding. They can choke on the milk, and not their natural position. If you think of how kittens nurse, they are laying down on their stomachs.

Read about feeding them at www.kitten-rescue.com. It will explain the best position, which should be stomach down.

I'm glad she's eating!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlabing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
barely any sleep last night she cried all night. i am worried b/c she still hasn't pooed

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone more current with fostering kittens (it's been over 7 years since I've had a kitten about) will respond. Just keep trying to get her to poo after every feeding. www.kitten-rescue.com does say they may not poo every day, I think I'd be worried if she doesn't poo by tomorrow morning.

Are you fairly confident that she's eating enough and often enough? staying warm enough?

Anyhoo...I am sure someone else with current experience will pop in here..hopefully Hissy may see this too.

wishing you all the best with this sweet, lucky little angel

carlabing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she eats until she pushes it away ... she is def staying warm ... i hope she poos soon

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still hasn't pooed???? Boy, I'd be working on that one...please follow the instructions on some of the links. This is very important for her safety.

carlabing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
calling the vet to make an appt. thanx for the wonderful links people! I thought that yellow urine was normal. and it is a sign of dehydration.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add more water to her formula. She is so tiny right now, she is at great risk if she can't poop. Also, are you feeding her while she is on her belly and not her back? Prior to feeding her, be sure that the bottle (the nipple) is giving just the right amount of milk, not to much, just a few drops when squeezed (sometimes the rubber tip closes in on itself). Also, when you feed her, get a dry washcloth and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, lay it out, test it by lying it on your wrist so it isn't to hot. Then place her on the cloth- the warmth can sometimes stimulate them to poop.

There is a possibility that she was born to early and hasn't fully developed before appearing in the world, so a vet visit is the best idea.

Another trick is to wet your finger in warm water and use your finger to stimulate her. Run your finger up her belly, around her rectum in gentle circles with small pressing motion. If she is blocked up, those small pressing motions and they have to be really really gentle will help loosen up the mass. Another thing I have tried is to stick the kitten's rear into a small stream of warm water (just a trickle). Don't give up on her, don't be rough with her, the trick is to find the balance, and not over stimulate her and just make her raw and cranky.

Good luck!