Found A Kitten, About 4 Wks, Might Be Sick?

sassybat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, uh, hope this is the right place for this?

So, yesterday afternoon we found a kitten in out garage. We think he is about four weeks old, although of course we can't tell that 100%. Yesterday he seemed okay, kind of tired, but he drank some water, and even ate a few pieces of food before we went out and got him kitten milk - we thought we had some bottles to feed him with, but we didn't, so we had to see if he would drink out of a bowl, which he did do, mostly (we got a bottle to feed him with today, more on that later). He seemed okay, a little unsteady on his feet, but he's not very old so I don't know if that's normal for his age. He was very vocal. He went to the bathroom on his own a couple of times; the first time, when he pooped (sorry if this is kind of gross? it feels important to make this clear) it looked fine, the second time it was diarrhea; not bad diarrhea, but diarrhea all the same.

Today he has gone down hill, and we don't know why or what to do about it. He won't drink from a bottle; I assume he knows how to, since yesterday he kept trying to suck on our fingers and stuff before we got him food, but he wont take it. We've been feeding him by using a syringe to squirt in a bit at a time, which is tedious and he doesn't seem to like it, but it's the only way we can get him to eat. He's really lethargic, and seems more unsteady on his feet; when he does walk around, he sits down frequently. Mostly, he just lies down a lot and sleeps. Apparently he was doing some weird thing with his eyes this morning, like they were twitching around, but I don't think it lasted very long, and he hasn't done it since; sorry if that's kind of vague, that's how my mom described it. Also, he might be shaking a little bit? It's hard to tell, since mostly when I've noticed it, it's when I'm holding him, and he purrs a lot, so I don't know if the purring is causing it?

We don't really know what to do for him to help him get better - we cannot afford to take him to the vet, so I'm hoping to get some advice for what we can do otherwise? We don't know how long he has been on his own and away from his mom, and he seems thin; we're trying to feed him frequently, but his refusal to the bottle makes it tough.

One of our cats got sick about a month and a half ago, and we got antibiotics from the vet, and we still have some left over; should we give him some of that to see if it helps?

Oh, I almost forgot to add; we have raised motherless kittens before, even younger then him even, but that was over a decade ago, and we did not encounter a problem like this.
We've been calling him Honey, and I've attached some pics, maybe someone with more knowledge can pinpoint his age better then us?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feeding him with a syringe is the right thing to do.

Does he have his baby teeth? If so, he is at lesst 4 weeks old.

Try adding a bit of honey to his formula. It may perk him up a little.

He may have worms or parasites. These can cause diarrhea. He would need meds for that.

What antibiotic do you have? What is the strength of it? Is it mg's or mLs?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I really think this baby needs a vet visit. I know you say you don't have the funds. Is there a rescue or shelter organization you can contact in your area? They may have funds available to help with the vet visit.