Found A Friendly Stray Cat. What Can I Do To Help Him?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've ever had a stray cat come up to me and not immediately run away. So I'm not really sure what to do. I saw him outside and decided to give him a can of wet food to see if he would come up to me and eat it. He ate the whole thing and then after wouldn't stop following me and meowing so loudly at me. He came up to me and all he wanted was love :( I can't take him inside my apartment because I have a cat. So, I got a box from my house and a bowl of dry food and water and made him a little shelter outside. All humane societies are closed right now and I called an emergency vet, but they said they don't take stray cats. He looks pretty sick :( Is there anything else I can do for this little guy??

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are already doing great by him, giving him food, water, attention and shelter! You rock! Sounds like he really likes you.

What makes you think he is ill? Does he have any symptoms? If he seems ok, maybe you can wait until your regular vet is open and have him checked out then? My guess is theemergency Vet won’t take responsibility for a stray, but if you pay them they will definitely examine and treat him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think that by him eating, drinking and wanting love, He's ok enough that he'll be ok through the night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are already doing great by him, giving him food, water, attention and shelter! You rock! Sounds like he really likes you.

What makes you think he is ill? Does he have any symptoms? If he seems ok, maybe you can wait until your regular vet is open and have him checked out then? My guess is theemergency Vet won’t take responsibility for a stray, but if you pay them they will definitely examine and treat him.
thank you!! I'm not sure, but his stomach is very bloated, he's very skinny, and he looks like he might have a front leg injury (he was walking weird on it). And just the way he was meowing, seemed like he was in pain or something was wrong. I'm sure he will be fine over night because this is the third time I've seen him in the past month. I don't think I can keep him though (even though I want to SO BAD)... my cat I have now is very high maintenance lol and being a college student, I can't afford the possible initial vet bills getting him healthy. So, I think I will take him to the humane society if I see him again tomorrow.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I can keep him though (even though I want to SO BAD)... my cat I have now is very high maintenance lol and being a college student,
That’s fair, it is important information to know how many cats is too many cats for you ;). The humane society should fix him up and if he’s so friendly he will hopefully have no trouble finding a home.

And coming from someone who took in an abandoned cat recently, sometimes those insistent meows are simply a cat that found someone who listens. I googled “cat squeaks when purring” and “hoarse meows” before I realized it was Olive being Olive. If we could translate it, he’s probably telling you thanks for listening.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're awesome for helping this guy out! I agree that he will probably be ok tonight if he's eating and wants attention. Hopefully you and the shelter will be able to get him a new home, and he'll be eternally grateful!
Do you think there's any chance that someone might be looking for him? Take a picture or two if you can, and post it on social media or around the area you found him. Since he's so friendly, maybe someone is missing him. Or maybe someone who can take care of him permanently would be willing to help! Good luck, and keep us updated!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also take him into your apartment and confine him to a room, even a bathroom would do, until you get him to a vet or find him a home. Sometimes the Humane Society will euthanize a sick cat, especially since this is kitten season and he would have competition to get adopted, so call them and make some inquiries first. And who knows, maybe your resident cat would like a buddy :)

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're awesome for helping this guy out! I agree that he will probably be ok tonight if he's eating and wants attention. Hopefully you and the shelter will be able to get him a new home, and he'll be eternally grateful!
Do you think there's any chance that someone might be looking for him? Take a picture or two if you can, and post it on social media or around the area you found him. Since he's so friendly, maybe someone is missing him. Or maybe someone who can take care of him permanently would be willing to help! Good luck, and keep us updated!

Thank you!!
I definitely think it's a possibility that someone is looking for him, but I'm not really sure. He was very skiddish at first and then when I gave him food it was almost like he adopted me as his new mom lol. He turned into the most loving cat. So that makes me think that it may be someone's cat. I'll take a picture if I see him again and post it on a couple sites. Thanks for the advice :)

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also take him into your apartment and confine him to a room, even a bathroom would do, until you get him to a vet or find him a home. Sometimes the Humane Society will euthanize a sick cat, especially since this is kitten season and he would have competition to get adopted, so call them and make some inquiries first. And who knows, maybe your resident cat would like a buddy :)
Yes, that was one of things that I've been worried about-- if I take him to the humane society and they may just euthanize him if he's too sick. But then again, I can't really afford taking him to the vet and the possible huge initial vet bills. So I'm kinda stuck right now on what to do. I never see him during the day, only during the night, so I may just have to take him into my bathroom for the night until I figure out what's the best thing to do for him. Thanks for the help :)

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: found him again. He ran up to me when he saw me and I gave him some more canned food. I just spend over an hour with him giving him love :( my boyfriend won't allow us to take it in, just because he doesn't want to risk spreading any fleas or whatever to our current cat (his apartment is really small). here's a picture i was able to get (he wouldn't stay still) I also took a couple videos, but it won't allow me to upload them. Ugh my heart is breaking having to leave him out there again :(
36893600_10160505325960576_261604284745908224_n.jpg

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweetheart! Definitely a good idea not to bring him in unless he’s seen a Vet. That’s good advice in case he has something you resident cat can catch.

And don’t feel bad, an hour of love and a full tummy is changing that cat’s life! She is lucky to have someone to care for her.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww! What an adorable kitty! I think it's probably a girl since she's a calico (tri color) cat, and they're almost always female. So pretty!
Being a college student, do you know anyone else in the area who has some extra space to keep her until you can figure out a suitable organization to help out? Sometimes, a local no kill shelter or ASPCA is better than the humane society.

Where are you located? A lot of TCS members are great at finding help!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can purchase Frontline Plus for her, it not only works immediately to kill fleas and ticks , but continues to work for 30 days. It's cheapest to purchase on eBay or Amazon , however, and you can get it right away at your vet's office or Walmart. That way you could take the cat into your bathroom without worrying about fleas. (Well, you can't blame me for trying :))

That's a precious looking Kitty, and she also looks as though she's been starving. Is it possible for you to feed her more than once a day? I would end up taking her in if she appeared on my block! Is there any family member, friend, neighbor, fellow student who would be willing to give her at least a temporary home? It would be so much better for her than being outside. She is definitely a stray, possibly a dumped cat, who wants love and a home. It breaks my heart to see her in that picture, I just want to scoop her up and love her. Yes, tell us what city you live in.

Last edited:

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww! What an adorable kitty! I think it's probably a girl since she's a calico (tri color) cat, and they're almost always female. So pretty!
Being a college student, do you know anyone else in the area who has some extra space to keep her until you can figure out a suitable organization to help out? Sometimes, a local no kill shelter or ASPCA is better than the humane society.

Where are you located? A lot of TCS members are great at finding help!
I've been asking friends and anyone I can and no one seems to be able to. I'm located in northwestern Ohio. If anyone is in the area, and can take her or can help in any way, that would be so great!

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can purchase Frontline Plus for her, it not only works immediately to kill fleas and ticks , but continues to work for 30 days. It's cheapest to purchase on eBay or Amazon , however, if you can get it right away at your vet's office or Walmart. That way you could take the cat into your bathroom without worrying about fleas. (Well, you can't blame me for trying :))

That's a precious looking Kitty, and she also looks as though she's been starving. Is it possible for you to speed her more than once a day? I would end up taking her in if she appeared on my block! Is there any family member, friend, neighbor, fellow student who would be willing to give her at least a temporary home? It would be so much better for her than being outside. She is definitely a stray, possibly a dumped cat, who wants love and a home. It breaks my heart to see her in that picture, I just want to scoop her up and love her. Yes, tell us what city you live in.

That's a great idea about the frontline! I know, she is adorable and sooo loving!! I just want to scoop her up to and love her also. I've been trying to find people, but no one is able to so far. I'm currently in Toledo, OH.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep trying! And, that's a great idea about the flea treatment msaimee msaimee - what a good call! I'm sure if she's going hungry, the fleas don't help. And I totally agree with you: if I had found her, I'd have to scoop her up! She looks like a mix between my two cats now.

If she's treated for fleas, and fed more, she might not need expensive vet bills at all. I think feeding her twice a day, consistently, might improve her health a lot. Scheduled feeding would also help to keep her around so you can check on her if you decide that you still can't take her inside.
She's obviously friendly, so that works in favor of her chances for adoption. I think you should email and call the following shelters, and see what their policies are regarding stray cats, and if she'd be safe in their care. Keep trying on social media and through friends to get her a home, too! The more you get the word out, the more likely she is to capture someone's interest who is looking for a new cat. This kitty came to you for a reason, and is so lucky you've found her. Please continue to be her hero, and help to find her a forever home!

The Toledo animal shelter is a no kill shelter that looks very promising! Here is all their info!

Toledo Animal Shelter : Home
LOCATION & HOURS OF OPERATION
640 Wyman Street
Toledo, OH 43609
Phone (419) 382-1130
Fax (419) 382-7248
[email protected]
Monday 12 - 4
Tuesday 12 - 4
Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 12 - 4
Friday 12 - 4
Saturday 12 - 4
Sunday CLOSED

Here is another shelter in northwest Ohio, which actively works towards adopting pets out:
Planned Pethood, Inc. : Home

Here is the SPCA:
http://www.ohiospca.org/

Good luck!

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep trying! And, that's a great idea about the flea treatment msaimee msaimee - what a good call! I'm sure if she's going hungry, the fleas don't help. And I totally agree with you: if I had found her, I'd have to scoop her up! She looks like a mix between my two cats now.

If she's treated for fleas, and fed more, she might not need expensive vet bills at all. I think feeding her twice a day, consistently, might improve her health a lot. Scheduled feeding would also help to keep her around so you can check on her if you decide that you still can't take her inside.
She's obviously friendly, so that works in favor of her chances for adoption. I think you should email and call the following shelters, and see what their policies are regarding stray cats, and if she'd be safe in their care. Keep trying on social media and through friends to get her a home, too! The more you get the word out, the more likely she is to capture someone's interest who is looking for a new cat. This kitty came to you for a reason, and is so lucky you've found her. Please continue to be her hero, and help to find her a forever home!

The Toledo animal shelter is a no kill shelter that looks very promising! Here is all their info!

Toledo Animal Shelter : Home
LOCATION & HOURS OF OPERATION
640 Wyman Street
Toledo, OH 43609
Phone (419) 382-1130
Fax (419) 382-7248
[email protected]
Monday 12 - 4
Tuesday 12 - 4
Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 12 - 4
Friday 12 - 4
Saturday 12 - 4
Sunday CLOSED

Here is another shelter in northwest Ohio, which actively works towards adopting pets out:
Planned Pethood, Inc. : Home

Here is the SPCA:
http://www.ohiospca.org/

Good luck!

Wow, thank you so much!! I will call that place tomorrow and see if she will be safe in their care. It looks very promising.

Thank you all for the support and help. You have no idea how much I truly appreciate it!

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I called the place you listed tinydestroyer tinydestroyer , and unfortunately, they have a 2 month weight list for accepting cats :( I've called 3 other no kill shelters and either they have not called me back or they don't have availability. :(

However, I did find a low cost clinic that does basic exams, vaccines, deworming, ect that I could afford. Which leads me to think that I may take her in until I can find her a home. My question is, if I took her to this clinic and got all her shots/vaccines/deworming and all else goes well, will my current resident cat be at risk for anything? With the apartment being pretty small, that is my biggest concern that my current cat will get sick.