Found 2 brands canned cat food with wheat gluten! (list included)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still feeding the Friskies, Meow Mix, Pro Plan, ones with wheat gluten. It's either that, or Twitch goes back on hunger strike. She eats chunks & gravy...or dry. That's it. I've been trying for over a year to get her to eat other foods, I've tried everything I can think of. So, now I'm back to wheat gluten foods.

I think it is 100% a purr-sonal opinion.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'd just like to point out to you that you made that decision based upon fear of the unknown, a "what if" scenario. These "feelings" that you describe are, in fact, fear.

I'm not judging you for that, but I think that you need to accept that fear is what drove you to make that judgement call. Which is OKAY, because that is your choice.
You can call it what you like. I don't see it as fear. Its as simple as that. For the whole year I had Ping I was doing the research on find a better food that I could be comfortable with and that I could pick up instead of order online. The recall was just the straw that broke the camels back. I knew he needed better food than what he was on I just had not done the switch until the recall. When the recall happened there was no better time than right than to make the switch.

Once again I did not then and do not now see that as fear.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I no longer worry since my only gluten able eater is
... Gigi eats raw meat with raw /cooked veggies and some cooked starch... Zoey eats some of Gigis and dry food

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s at least what theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re claiming. Maybe they were victims or maybe some just want consumers to believe that. These companies that we the consumers are supposed to trust must have a lax approach on how they run their business and the safety of the food they are selling. Because apparently they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what they are being supplied with, are they just blinded by profit?

Those Scientist at some animal health center in New York accused some pet food product of having rat poison in it and the accused company ran testâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s and said their product was perfectly fine and it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t, it may have not been rat poison but their product wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t fine.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not completely doubting the honesty of some of the pet food companies but come on, are they really that naïve, they had no idea how some of these overseas companies operate or companies in general being it is said itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s all about the bottom line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway......

I'm still giving my cats 9 lives and Friskies canned food, just NOT the flavors containing wheat gluten, they eat any flavor I give them so its no problem for them or me.

I read about this in Cat Fancy magazine and I figured i'm not taking any chances because if god forbid something did happen and it was because of my ignorance I would feel guilty for the rest of my life about it.

kisabre

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it seems that I and some of the other board members have steered slightly off subject. And it is your decision what to feed your cats Keith. However, wasn’t there worry of cross-contamination even with the food without wheat gluten or flour because it was supposedly the flour that was affected and since they did not clean their equipment before preparing another batch of food.