Fostering Stray Queen With Kittens

Dis_Gurl_Sparkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So a little background: I work at a local animal shelter and we help with strays that come in via our local animal control. I am currently fostering a mama with EIGHT kittens and was wondering if anyone had some insight or ideas to address a few of my concerns.

Details:
Mom and 8 kits were found stray and held at local animal control for 10 days before coming to us. At AC, mom was fed standard adult cat food.
Upon our intake, mom was dewormed and tested for FeLV/FIV (negative) and kits were dewormed. Aside from being very underweight, mom appears healthy. We estimate kits are around 4-5 weeks based on when they opened their eyes and their teeth development. They are very small for this age but that seems reasonable considering the size of the litter and the very tiny mom.

My concerns:
Mama cat has been switched to free feeding dry and wet kitten food to try and help her get some much needed calories since she's nursing off such a severe deficit. She is not gaining any weight. To further complicate things, she now has diarrhea. I know that overfeeding cats can cause diarrhea, as well as the switch in food, so how can I ensure she's getting enough nutrients without her overeating and ending up with diarrhea? Is there a good calculator for how much food she should be intaking with this large of a litter?

All of her kittens are eating wet kitten food now too and a few are even starting to eat hard food. Which leads me to my second concern: one kitten is substantially smaller than the rest. Since most of the kittens are starting to wean from mama and are maintaining good growth, would it work to separate mom and runt kitten during the day and then reunite all at night or vice versa? Would that help alleviate some of her nursing strain while still providing the extra nourishment the runt still needs? She's taken to taking one kitten out of her "nest" at a time and feeding it solo and I think its because she is just too tapped out to feed them all at once at this point.

Third issue: one of her nipples is starting to look a little raw and red. I'm keeping a close eye out for mastitis. Any advice? Eight kittens and her whole body is just working super overtime.

It's a complicated situation since she came to us so underweight and that's compounded by a massive litter size. She is a super sweet mama and is doing her best so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything to give her and kits the best chance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dis_Gurl_Sparkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sidenote: as soon as kittens are weaned, mama will be spayed. And kittens will be spayed/neutered as soon as they are big enough. Our shelters policy is to spay/neuter all of our animals before they are available for adoption and to have them as far through their vaccination schedules as their age allows.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that separating mom from the kittens during the whole day might be a little too long. I definitely think it would be good to rotate the kittens, so that the runt has some one-on-one time with mom. Also, be sure that you’re weighing the runt daily to make sure that it’s growing.

Do her glands feel swollen or full? If so, warm compresses should help. If they feel hot to the touch, and/or you’re seeing discolored milk, then that can indicate mastitis, in which case she would need immediate veterinary attention. This article has more info: Post-birth Complications In Cats

Dis_Gurl_Sparkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been weighing the runt daily and it is definitely growing. It's just noticeably smaller than the rest. The runt is 9.5 ounces. And the rest range from 13-15oz. The runt was 6.5oz when I got him last Monday so he's gained 3oz in a week.

Mom isn't swollen or full at all. With 8 kittens, she's just barely keeping up. And the redness around the one nipple isn't hot to touch and has already improved from when I first noticed it yesterday. But I am still monitoring it since I know that mastitis is a big concern. I think it's just chafing and overuse more than anything. Are there any creams or anything that could sooth it that wouldn't be a danger to nursing kittens?

I like the idea of more rotations than just night/day. Thank you!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To give mom cat more calories and protein, why not give her Kitten Milk Replacement instead of water? Use the dry powder to mix as you need. Don't buy the liquid form. It can spoil.

Good luck and keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes kmr or goats milk.

Some nice vitamine paste.
Some probiotic is good.

3 oz / 7 days, 85g / 7 is a good rate. The runt should be ok.

Dis_Gurl_Sparkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I added some KMR in place of water to add some calories for mom but left the nesting/nursing situation the same (didn't want to change too much at once). Mama seems happy, however my runt has lost a little weight since yesterday's weighing. I think I'm going to start separating mom and runt for one-on-one time a few hours a day to see if that will help with runt. If he continues to stall on growth, I may supplement with some KMR bottle feeding.