Fostering ponderings

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If you look at the top 2 pics, there is a white "O" next to the beastie band logo. That is actually the grommet used to attach the tag (you'll need a ring to attach the tag.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I went ahead and placed an order for it. My cat's name is Tiger, so I purchased the orange and black tiger striped one. It's a fairly expensive collar compared to the ones that I usually buy, but I'm hoping that the cat won't lose it, so then the costs would be lower over time.

So the velcro detaches if the cat truly got stuck? 

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, I like the Beastie Band design. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Crazy4Strays said:
So the velcro detaches if the cat truly got stuck? 
It probably would if the cat pulled hard enough, but the "escape mechanism" is how stretchy the collar is.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I think that I've finally figured out the real reason why my rescue doesn't chip cats. I don't think that they consider it necessary. I was mentioning chipping to another foster mom and she said, "But we want them to be indoor kitties anyway...."

I'm all for keeping cats inside. (Unless supervised, like on a leash) But the whole idea that indoor cats are somehow immune from getting lost baffles me. Of course, I have 3 kids who don't always shut doors behind them. So I'm know from experience that being indoors does not guarantee that a cat will never inadvertently end up outdoors.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn't agree with you more! My rescue's cats are microchipped, but we also require our cats to be indoor only (we also do not allow them to be declawed, but that's an issue for another time.)

Things happen. I live in an area prone to tornadoes (Dixie Alley) and there were hundreds of animals displaced and literally thrown from their homes as a result of a large tornado nearly 5 years ago. Rescues across the state took in animals that we knew had owners, but because they were not chipped (many had collars on, but tags had fallen off) we were unable to reunite them with their owners, despite our best efforts.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
To me, it sounds like the rescue doesn't want or can't afford to pay for microchipping. There's no good argument against it. Indoor cats get out. Cats get dumped, too, and people are far more likely to return unwanted cats to a rescue or shelter if they're chipped, rather than to just put them out.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the whole "keeping your cat inside is the magic elixir to prevent all problems" is a misconception that hurts cats and prevents them from getting needed veterinary care. I've actually heard someone say that they didn't spay their cat because she was an indoor cat.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the whole "keeping your cat inside is the magic elixir to prevent all problems" is a misconception that hurts cats and prevents them from getting needed veterinary care. I've actually heard someone say that they didn't spay their cat because she was an indoor cat.
We all know how well that works. 
 If anyone were to look at the pregnant cats & kittens forum they would see that this is a terrible idea. 

I don't like that people think indoor cats are safe from the world. The only thing that my indoor cats don't get in terms of health treatments that they would get if they were outdoor is flea treatment and FELV vaccines after they turn a year. In other areas, we would have to treat for fleas just like anyone else because they would come in on our dog or on us, but for some reason our area has very few fleas.

Everyone should microchip their pets even if they are indoor especially as there are thousands of stories about these cats getting out and getting lost.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, that person who said that inevitably ended up with a pregnant cat and a kitten to rehome.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had indoor cats - ever. Do you know how often Sara and Lucky snuck out?? Lucky was out overnight once and we didn't even know it, and Sara was gone for a week once before deciding she wanted to come back. Silly cat.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I can think of multiple scenarios (other than the obvious sneaking out the door), off the top of my head, where an indoor cat would greatly benefit from a microchip.

1) A home robbery

A burglar isn't going to have the courtesy to close the door when they're done robbing a house, and the cats are more likely to be stressed and flee in that situation.

2) Natural Disasters

Lots of cats that are obviously owned get rounded up after tornadoes and such. Their chances of going back to their owners, without some form of ID, are pretty slim.

3) House Fire When Owners Aren't Home

If the firemen come to put out the fire and I'm not there, what are they going to do with the animals? If animals end up in the shelter after a fire, a chip will quickly get them back home.

4) Some areas (like my home county) aren't that likely to scan for chips. Still they can be useful while travelling. 

In my case, I live in a backwoodsy area, where their collars are far more likely to save the day, than their chips. But we periodically travel to North Carolina and have taken our older cat with us on the road. In the event, that he slips out of the harness and runs, and someone picks him up and takes him to an open admission animal shelter, he would likely be euthanized, due to his age. (he's 15)

With the chip, he can make it back home.

Shelters in the south are sadly notorious for being "high kill." One NC shelter reportedly killed 99% of animals. http://www.wral.com/nc-shelter-kills-99-percent-of-animals-records-show/11778189/

A family's cat escaped from cargo while moving from Hawaii to Detroit. Months later, a feral caretaker who was feeding cats in Hawaii noticed the friendly Siamese cat showing up to eat with the ferals and surmised that he looked out of place. He caught the cat and had him scanned for a chip. After finding the chip and contacting the family, the Siamese kitty was quickly put on an airplane to go back to his elated family in Detroit. 

Last edited: