Fostering hoarder kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazy4cats28

I totally agree that the 12 week rule is wrong. I have living proof of that. My Blackie showed up at about a year old and within 6 months she was a loving sweet little ball of fur. Then there was Sweetie My Mom started to work with her when she was about 6-9 years old and got her to eat out of her hand and play with her but it took about 5 years. Then I moved here and I could pet her after about a year of trying. For the last few years of her life (she just died a couple months ago
) she LOVED being petted!!!! She would prefer attention to food!!!!
Very encouraging. I'm sitting at the 'puter eating Boston Market. First Garfield came up and tried to convince me to share. Then Blue jumped up on the computer desk next to him and began to purr. I pet her for a while, then she reached up with her dainty claws and tried to pull my plate down so she could have a bite! I explained to her that Meowmie is mean, and doesn't share! LOL! She did let me pet her a little more before she wandered away.

Each step s7
8s (that was Gar stepping on the keyboard) she makes is so special. I am so happy to have her here at my house!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beckiboo, careful! They steal your heart and then you've got another
cat, LOL!!

FYI, I posted pics of my Lexi, Shebs, Diablo at this website
address (haven't gotten to photobucket yet, just playing for first time
w/ the camera!!)

www.msnusers.com/CATpicssam11

2 cute captioned ones of each of them. Maj. Grey is next, if I can catch him
out of cover at some point. He's a real dear fluffy boy!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are so very appealing. But hopefully I will get a momma and her five kittens next week, so that would put me at 10 cats in the house. I know some people can do that full time, but I really don't like litter boxes that much. (Plus the outside cats get less attention when I get more high maintenance cats inside.)

I'm not saying I don't love them, or love feeling the "need" to play with kittens several times daily. But there are only so many hours, and with 3 kids at home and a full time job, I barely stay caught up as it is. How nice it would be to have a maid and cook, so I could spend more time playing with cats! LOL!

So you have two black cats already! Maybe I can ship Red to you, and she can sneak into YOUR house forever!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope, sorry Beckiboo! I'm full up on cats right now. I can hardly keep up with the antics and demands of Ms. Jingle Bingle Lexi!!
And my oldsters (esp. that Beautiful black guy, Didi) need lots of TLC. But I'd love a kitten!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, I am taking Blue to an adoption show. She is doing beautifully, and with a patient new owner, I'm sure she will continue to tame. Wish her luck, as I will be up to 11 cats inside if I have no adoptions today!

We will be at the Petsmart in Kildeer, IL from 12-4pm today, 12-17-05. If anyone is near, I'd love to meet you. (Especially if you are in the market for a very special little black kitty!)
Sugartoes will be there, too, and if she isn't adopted, she will come home with me.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Blue is home, and Sugartoes, too. No adoptions at all today.
The next adoption show is tomorrow, but I won't go to that. So the next time I'll go is in 2 weeks, since they aren't having one on Christmas Eve. By then, Blue will be fully tame, and hopefully Red can go, too.

Festus did not enjoy the show very much...but it was nice for Barb to see her. She hasn't seen Festie since she was about 5-6 months old, and she has grown some since then.

There was another litter of 3 feral kittens who were hissing at people. But tame enough to pick up and cuddle, just their initial reaction was bad. They were only found a week ago, so still need a lot of work.

Blue seems happy enough to be home, and I know Festie is glad to be home! And Sugartoes already went to say hello to dh, who carried her around for a few minutes. She never used to like to be held, but tonight she was so glad to see him that she let him cuddle her in his arms.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Blue has jumped on my lap twice already this morning. That is a first. She has been jumping on the computer desk when I'm eating, but this time she followed Garfield up and then just climbed on my lap! I petted her, and she purred for a few minutes before she left. Red is still more cautious, she played a little with the featherdancer this morning. And neither are afraid when I stand up anymore. DD even scooped Red up and cuddled her some yesterday.

Such fine little babies they are. By the next adoption show (Jan 7), maybe they will be the cuddle bugs everyone craves. I am so happy that they have come so far. Red is sitting on the sofa table chewing on the corner of the phone book. Blue is on the couch, playing with a tiny doll purse. Just having a good time! And so sweet. They both interact great with Festie, and try to engage Garfield but he just walks away. And Sugar either ignores them or growls at them quietly. Blue is the best at getting someone to play with her, whether it be Red or Festie. She even meows at me to play with her. Such a doll.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this morning, I was on the phone while eating a bowl of cereal. Blue jumped on my lap to beg, so I held my arm out to keep the bowl from her. SHE CRAWLED DOWN MY ARM TO TRY TO GET THE FOOD! She officially not feral anymore, however, she is a bit of a mooch!

Then, after I got off the phone, put her down, and went back to eating, she crawled up over my shoulders, and back into my lap. Then knocked her tail against the spoon, dropping a few pieces on to the floor, which she inhaled. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to let her lick the bowl after my cereal!

It reminded me of my Rainbow Bridge kitty Spot, a lovely barn cat who would sit on my shoulders sometimes. I am quite confident that dear Blue is ready for adoption! Red is coming along much slower, but does make progress in a very careful way.

Blue also climbed the Christmas tree as we decorated it, but when left alone for several hours, did not destroy it. She is a doll. Whoever adopts her is getting a wonderful kitty companion.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue gets on my lap regularly now, usually in search of food. But she will let me pet her, and she purrs up a storm. Last evening, Festie was on my lap, and Blue crawled up on top of her, and purred.

Christmas day, Blue tried to eat off dh's plate! He kept pushing her down, until she finally waited for him to finish. He told her she needed to be good, because Mommy would get mad at him if he yelled at her. Then Sugar, Blue and even Red finished off his leftovers when he was done.

And last night, Blue and Red slept in bed with dd. That is always the final sign that someone is tame. Blue slept in her armpit, and Red laid next to dd, but purred when she pet her. Oh, the furry sweetness! I do hope I can find them good homes soon, while they are still so young.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please check the fur pictures thread for pics and an update on the kittens.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74253
We have decided to keep Red for dd to care for as part of 4-H. Now we are just trying to think of a better name. Check the thread to give us some advice.

Blue is still available for adoption. We will most likely go to an adoption show next weekend, with Blue and Sugartoes. And before long, it will be CoCo and her babies ready to go. Boy, the house will seem really quiet if we ever get down to 3 cats! LOL!

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I lived anywhere near you, I would adopt blue in an instant. She sounds so adorable. You did such a good job with her. She also reminds me of my rainbow bridge kitty Gaby.

I'm sure you'll find her a wonderful forever home.

Cynthia

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckatz

If I lived anywhere near you, I would adopt blue in an instant. She sounds so adorable. You did such a good job with her. She also reminds me of my rainbow bridge kitty Gaby.

I'm sure you'll find her a wonderful forever home.

Cynthia
Thank you, Cynthia. She is truly a great little girl. Tonight my 17 y/o ds sat on the floor to eat his dinner, and she kept pestering him. I told him that I often let her lick my plate by setting it on the floor when I'm done, so she thought he was offering to share.

By being firm, she got the message from him. Then after dinner, he was giving her scraps of chicken, and was so impressed by how well she stands on her back legs. Garfield was begging, too, but Blue was quick enough that she got most of the chicken! LOL!

Then she and Jasmine (Red) were trying to play with the cord of the play station, as we danced and sang to Dance Dance Revolution. They have become such a part of the family.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Thank you, Cynthia. She is truly a great little girl. Tonight my 17 y/o ds sat on the floor to eat his dinner, and she kept pestering him. I told him that I often let her lick my plate by setting it on the floor when I'm done, so she thought he was offering to share.

By being firm, she got the message from him. Then after dinner, he was giving her scraps of chicken, and was so impressed by how well she stands on her back legs. Garfield was begging, too, but Blue was quick enough that she got most of the chicken! LOL!

Then she and Jasmine (Red) were trying to play with the cord of the play station, as we danced and sang to Dance Dance Revolution. They have become such a part of the family.
So how far are you from nyc?