Fostering a semi-feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmatchett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since yesterday. Warmed up soft food and her regular hard food. But from Tuesday to Saturday I had tried tuna, baby food,chicken,pork,

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
While sitting down and reading to her, if there's eye contact, do the slow blink. And if she does not respond to you by blinking back, once you blink, look away slowly. This is to show that you are submissive and not challenging her for a fight and this will boost her confidence in you.

The other thing is about the food and eating. Listen to what ShadowsRescue says.

Try your best, we know you can do it. Don't give up!

tmatchett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No nothing overnight:(  At lunch I'm going to cook her a piece of Salmon and give her that. I've also decided at the suggestion of the vet that I'm going to introduce her to my cat. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No nothing overnight:(  At lunch I'm going to cook her a piece of Salmon and give her that. I've also decided at the suggestion of the vet that I'm going to introduce her to my cat. 
This is very very worrisome.  She needs fluids and nourishment.  Does the vet know she has not eaten anything in days?  

It is worth a try to introduce her to your cat, but very careful.  Your cat may not be used to other cats and will try to defend the territory.  If your cat is relaxed/mellow, then it might all go well.  

tmatchett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet yesterday which is when they suggested the two cats meeting. I also called this morning with the update that she still isn't eating, so I'm just waiting for a call back from them.

tmatchett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the advice of my vet, I'm returning Sammie to the Shelter. I just notified the shelter of this. I'm very upset that this process did not work for her but at this rate we're looking at a very sick cat if she doesn't eat soon. Nothing I have done has work and at least at the shelter she was existing and comfortable in her environment. I'm confident that they will continue to take care of her to the best of thier ability. Thank you for all of your advice and tips. I will be unenrolling from this forum, but I wanted to give you one final update since you've been following our struggle for a week. Thanks again.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I know it's not your fault. You was her hope. It is so sad that she has to go back to the shelter and start all over again and if she gets adopted, it is going to be hard on her and will definitely drive her stress level up.
And returning her back to the shelter which means she is going back to her old state of life with no hope. I don't know what the shelter will do to her.

I really don't understand why the vet advised you to do that. Is there another vet that you can take her to and get a better help?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A second opinion from bother vet would have been helpful. I worry something was wrong. A cat won't intentionally starve to death. I am sorry she had to go back to the shelter as I worry she will not get the care she needs and her life is doomed for a shelter. It is too bad the vet was not willing to help you.

You tried many things and nothing is your fault.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
T tmatchett
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could, and this kitty was just too frightened to respond.
That shelter needs to work with their cats more so adoptions don't turn into disappointments like this.

You have a ton of love and strength to offer a kitty. You will recover from this, and I hope you give another kitty a chance soon.