Fostering a pregnant cat and have some qestions

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, so I'm currently fostering a very pregnant kitty. The vet estimated 1 to 2 weeks till delivery, we have had her for a week now. So my questions are- I think she may have some loose stools, is this normal? She also looks like her anus may be a bit sore. She also hasn't been cleaning herself down there is that normal? Her breast have started to look like they are filling up with milk, does this mean delivery is close? She is also spending lots of time in her birthing box and has been scratching at the corners and moving the blankets around. Sorry I know this is a lot and thanks to those who respond.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is really close, could be any day now. Diarrhea is normal before delivery but give her lots of wet food mixed with Pedialyte or even KMR from a dish. You can use an unscented diaper wipe to gently wipe her behind if its dirty. Nesting and milk production usually come a couple days before birth. Has she lost any of her mucus plug?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried to give her wet food but she wont eat it. I've wiped her behind a couple of times but she does not like it. From what I can see I don't thinks lost her mucus plug yet.

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is drinking lots though and eating well

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is very pregnant due to give birth any day. Is it normal for a her to poop in her whelping box? She spends most if her time there and this afternoon pooped in it. The poop was loose but not diarrhea. It could have very well just been an accident. Wondering if this is normal. Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat is very pregnant due to give birth any day. Is it normal for a her to poop in her whelping box? She spends most if her time there and this afternoon pooped in it. The poop was loose but not diarrhea. It could have very well just been an accident. Wondering if this is normal. Thanks
Not that most common, but she was probably very needy.
They often do extra poo the last day before delivery, even diarrheaish.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Diarrhea is normal in the day or two before labor and delivery, as Stefan mentioned. This is caused by her hormones being in high gear. With kittens pressing on her intestines she probably had an urgent need to poop. Clean her up and expect kittens soon! :)