Fostering 4 kittens and their mom - turns out they have ringworm. Ack! Best course of action? How to

clario6372

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I recently started fostering a new litter of kittens and their mama, Fern. I love fostering and I know that it comes with risks to my residents, but that is something I have come to terms with. 

However, it became apparent recently that many of the 25 kittens transferred in the same "batch" were infected with ringworm. We did not know this would be an issue before accepting their cats and kittens, or we probably wouldn't have committed to quite so many!

I'm not bitter about it though - it happens! So here's the situation: I have 4 kittens (now about 8 weeks old) and their mom, Fern. The kittens are Alder (m), Spruce (m), Lavender (m), and Hazelnut (f). When they arrived (about one month ago), they all seemed completely fine and devoid of ringworms. However, in the past week or so Fern has developed a scruffy looking patch on the tip of one ear, and it fluoresced last night when I took them in to do a medical update. For the uninitiated, fluoresced means we took her in a dark bathroom and held a black light up to her ear, where the ring worm patches (very tiny) glowing apple green. I just learned that yesterday!

The kitties have been fighting off a pretty nasty URI, and just went back on Clavamox last night after finishing one ten day course. Symptoms were returning (especially in Hazel) and she had a fever. Alder also has has one eyelid that seemed irritated and was swollen since he was about 3 weeks old. We assumed it was part of the URI complications, but it seems to have gotten worse after ending Clavamox, though his URI symptoms have not returned much. The vet now thinks it might be ringworm :( poor guy.

So, right now all 4 kittens are on Clavamox twice daily, and Alder gets Terramycin (antibiotic ointment) in his eyes at the same dosing time. We are going to be giving all five lime dip baths twice per week - not looking forward to that at all, especially with Mama Fern. She seems to have lived outside for most of her life, and is still quite unsure about this whole "people" business.

I also have 3 resident cats who are very healthy, and I don't want them to get ringworm. They don't have direct contact with the foster family, except occasionally swiping paws under the office door. I also recently transfered the fosters into my office from the bathroom because their URI symptoms were under control, and they were quickly outgrowing the very small space. I now kind of regret this decision, but not much that can be don about it now.  How can I control this infection? I also don't want to get it myself, or for my fiance to get it.

Please help! How to control ringworm spread, and keep my sanity? Do you have tips for effective lime dipping, or particular cleaning products that have worked well?

Thank you in advance!

catamountgurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know much about ringworm but I do know about the uri. My kitten has feline herpes which is an uri basically. The best things I've used for it are l lysine powder mixed in her wet food as well as giving her goats milk. She thinks it's a treat and the goats milk also helps the digestive tract as well. Hopefully others can help you with the ring worm but hopefully this can help with the uri. Good luck