foster pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: If you all followed my first post, I was told I had a pregnant foster cat, from a shelter. Ends up she wasnt pregnant. She went in to be spayed at the Vet the Shelter uses on Monday. They open her up and she had been spayed already! From what I have read, this is common. But I just thought I would mention it here as an update. The poor thing is back here at my home recuperating but not doing so great. In a lot of pain. This foster cat sure has thrown me for a loop. From being pregnant to not being pregnant, going in for a spay only to find out she was already spayed, I hope this is a sign that she will find a wonderful forever home when she goes up for adoption!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet send you with any pain medication? We use Buprenex (Buprenorphine) for our post-surgery kitties.

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, she was given injection before I left w her and also, I have 4 syringes of something. I dont know what the name is. I have had fosters before that were spayed in my care, but after that first day, they were fine. Not this one :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

yes, she was given injection before I left w her and also, I have 4 syringes of something. I dont know what the name is. I have had fosters before that were spayed in my care, but after that first day, they were fine. Not this one :(
Probably metacam.

ONLY use this if you really think she needs it though, please.

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told the same thing from Vet. She only used 2 syringes so far. Honestly, I didnt see a huge change in her when I gave it to her, just made her very groggy, but she was still crying when she would move. She did attempt to stretch when I came in her room this morning but just as she started she growled from the pain and stopped herself. Glad she will be with us for another 2 weeks as she is a sweetie!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If the med has a white-ish color to it, then yes, it's Meloxicam. This is kind of our version of Advil. Meloxicam is also only given once a day.

Buprenex is more often clear and can be given every 8-12 hrs. This is a true pain medication (kind of like kitty morphine.)

I'm a bit surprised that she appears to be in more pain than others you have fostered since her surgery consisted of opening her and closing her back up.

Hope she feels better soon!

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor girl! I guess that's why they starting marking them with tattoos after they've been fixed now. My not-pregnant foster was spayed yesterday too. Her eye was responding well to the drops I was giving her, so she's up for adoption starting today. I had the option to adopt her out from my home, but she doesn't like other cats, so she's been pretty much cooped up in one room by herself for six weeks. The conditions at the shelter are very nice, and she'll be exposed to more activity there and hopefully get adopted quickly when potential adopters see how pretty and sweet she is.