Foster mom and kitten

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Long story short…we asked our neighbor’s permission to take in their cat who seems to be about 6-7 months old (though I’m no expert), who has a kitten. im judging the kitten to be about 8 weeks. The cat had been outdoors only, and I don’t think they were feeding her. We fed her a few times, and she pretty much moved to our porch, was friendly with us…and then later, surprise surprise, brought her kitten. That’s the day we asked if we could take her in, and the neighbors said yes (Sunday…yesterday). Mom is underweight, but she did a great job with her chunky little kitten! The don’t have fleas, and seem to be generally in good health. We have an appointment this coming weekend, through a rescue, to get her vaccines, microchip, check-up, and if she’s not pregnant again, spayed. I don’t THINK shes carrying another litter, but again..I have no experience with this, and there was a male cat who came to visit. They are now inside, in my 16 year old son’s room, and the kitten is very playful. Mom is still on guard, but happy to be brushed. We’re not allowing full run of the house just yet, as we have a cat already, and I want to make sure these 2 don’t have any illnesses they could spread, though they do seem quite healthy. Our cat doesn’t seem bothered by this.

My immediate question is…mom seems to be hungry a lot. Should I be feeding her more often than a regular adult cat since, though the kitten does eat food, he’s also still suckling? I had fed them their “dinner” and 4 hours later, mom was crying. I fed them again, and now they are happy, and settling down in their bed. Our other cat (and all others we’ve had, since we usually adopt adults who are spayed/neutered) always just have breakfast and dinner. So should I just feed them more often? We will eventually rehome the kitten (already have 2 serious offers), but will wait on advice from the vet/rescue.

Anything else we should do? Unfortunately, we all work/go to school, but we can certainly add in an afternoon and/or bedtime feeding.

thanks, Erin
F09461BE-2604-4382-846C-6D5E38C1009B.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx a lot for helping these two darlings!
You are doing and thinking right.

Yes, I think momma may have more food. She herself is still growing. And her kittens has demands.
And not impossible, she is preg again...

If her pregnancy isnt visible as yet, and you are OK with the thought, the vet may abort spay her... Medically isnt no great problem if the vet is any experienced vet surgeon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely feed them all they want several times a day. You might leave some kitten dry food out too for when you are gone. The kitten looks like it is getting near the age for adoption. Mama is tiny! Bless you for taking her in and caring for her. Remember too, mamas are VERY protective of their little ones and she may attack your other cat. you might want to wait until after the kitten leaves to introduce them, you will be the best one to know that though. good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely feed them all they want several times a day. You might leave some kitten dry food out too for when you are gone. The kitten looks like it is getting near the age for adoption. Mama is tiny! Bless you for taking her in and caring for her. Remember too, mamas are VERY protective of their little ones and she may attack your other cat. you might want to wait until after the kitten leaves to introduce them, you will be the best one to know that though. good luck!
thats our plan for introduction, but this morning, mama kitty figured out how to open my son’s door, so all 3 cats met. The kitten and my cat were curious, mama cat was wary, but not aggressive…just one small hiss. I did separate them quickly, with some reassuring pets, and no one seemed at all riled. now our cat really wants in! Thankfully, we can lock the door, and we have a key.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If there wasnt not more than a small hiss, it sound promising and Im sure they will easily accept each other. Some small hisses are often just to buy maeuvering space, they arent real threat.

But as you say, you want to have them in quarantine, till the vet gives an OK.

PS. you mentioned you had adopted homeless cats earlier. Is your resident such an rescued ex homeless cat? IF so, we may presume his immunity system is above average... these dumped or homeless, with a weak immune system, they perish in just weeks...

So, the fact some homeless are making quite OK,isnt because its healthy with lotsa of fresh air; but its these sturdy, with good immune system
whom survive and are OK... Most others perish soon enough....

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our other cat was a stray found in our cellar. He was dirty, had ticks, and needed surgery for bladder stones. Once we were able to trap him, he was very friendly, after he had the treatment he needed, and no owner was found, he came home to us. He seems very open to other cats, so I’m thinking eventually, they will be pals.

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my husband and I we’re out on an after-voting dinner date, and he says “it wouldn’t be so bad to keep the kitten, too!”

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is we had already talked about the cost of another cat, and with my son's college applications coming up (theater...he has to apply to 20+ schools twice - once for academic acceptance, once for the theater school) plus travel expenses for auditions...swinging a 3rd cat could be hard...plus, we already found him a good home. I might consider it if we hadn't already found one...

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again! All is going well! Kitten got distemper vaccine and flea and ear mite treatment. Mom got spayed and is recovering well and quickly. She also got her vaccines and microchip. The rescue vet suggested we wean the kitten, who is judged to be about 12 weeks old. He eats very well, but we have no clue how to wean him, short of separating them all day while we’re at work, and all night when we sleep…and that seems cruel! I’ll do a search on here to see what I can find.

ETA I found an article on here on weaning, and it says it’s ok for a 12-16 week old kitten to still be nursing, even while mom is spayed, and she will take care of the weaning

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, mamas definitely take care of the weaning, They usually start boxing their ears when they try, though I have seen 6 month olds taking an occasional nurse. as long as the kitten gets most of his food from eating separate from nursing, it will be fine. I would think they need each other for comfort right now......