Foster kittens

jwicklund07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four foster kittens that I got when they were 2 weeks old. They are now around 7 weeks. The past few days they have all been sick and vomiting a couple times a day usually a few hours after eating. They have been eating wellness wet kitten food. I took them to the vet and she took their temps and tested them for worms. Nothing came back on fecal test and they did not have fevers. She said they should be eating dry food and that I should try that. That may be the reason they were throwing up. Well I have been trying to get them to eat royal canin baby cat dry food. So far they don't like it no matter what I do. Mix with water,formula or putting pieces on top of wet food. The vet office said to just give them dry food and sooner or later they will eat. I hate to make them skip meals because of the throwing up. They have each lost a little weight over the past few days. I don't know what to do to get them to eat dry food. Any suggestions?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it is ever good to suddenly switch a cat's food. When changing foods if it is not done gradually, it can cause stomach upset.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Minced meat (cow meat, not pigs) is a classic for small kittens...  Gerber for children, unflavored,  turkey or chicken, are also often used by USA-inhibitants.

If they dont want eat solids, proceed with kmr or goat milk, at least so they arent starving.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try Purina kitten chow. Also, Fancy Feast classic pate. Again, any diet change can cause tummy upset, but since they were all sick, it really sounds like a virus. Is the vomiting over now?

I would not let them go hungry either. KMR in a dish, and Gerber turkey or chicken, anything to get food into them. Clear pedialyte syringed into the side of the mouth if nothing else. They need to stay hydrated.

I hope they will eat for you today. This is worrisome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwicklund07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They kept all of their food down overnight and up until about 30 minutes ago. One of them threw up again. They do seem to be improving though in that aspect. They seem better over all they are playing more. The one kitten vomitted after I syringe fed him some food. I dont know what is going on with them. They all eat but not as much as they normally would. They still will not eat the dry food. I tried purina kitten chow they don't like that either. Most of them have been drinking water on their own but if I dont notice them doing so I give them a syringe of water.

jwicklund07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and have been trying the KMR and they don't really seem to like it which is very strange because most kittens love it I thought.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Oh and have been trying the KMR and they don't really seem to like it which is very strange because most kittens love it I thought.
If necessary, syringe feed them the kmr or goat milk.  They must have something into them, better to start now than if they begin to go downhill.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder if they all need antibiotics to clear their system of whatever they sre suffering from?

How are their poops? Loose or normal?

Something is not right, because kittens generally love KMR, wet food, and kitten chow, and if you've had them since they were 2 weeks old, then you weaned them. What foods did you wean them with?

jwicklund07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I had them at two weeks they were constipated the vet had to do enemas and she told me not to feed them formula anymore so I stopped. She had me feed them a/d canned food. When that ran out I started them on wellness canned and that's what they were eating. The vet attributes them throwing up to wet food and told me to feed dry. I'm not so sure it was the food but whatever. Two of them are now eating the dry and two have been syringe feeding formula and giving all of them Nutrical. Their poops were very runny but are firming up now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is not the first time I've heard of kittens getting sick from Wellness. Is there any reason you can't put them back on A/D, then slowly transition them to a different brand of wet food that's less expensive? Kittens usually eat both wet and dry, and when they are re-homed they may not get Royal Canin. Many people use grocery store brands.

Last edited:

jwicklund07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 This royal canin is the first dry food I could get them to eat. I tried purina and they wouldnt touch it. They are still small so it may be too large for their mouths. The royal canin is very tiny pieces easier for them to eat. I am definitely going to try switching them to something more affordable once I think they can eat it. I will pry to get some more a/d also.