Foster Kitten not wanting to eat

FosterMeowma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a kitten for a rescue, socializing her so that she can find her furever home.
I've had her for a week now, and haven't had any problems with getting her to eat or socializing her. But today, that changed.
I had to take her to the vet because she was sneezing and had goopy eyes. The vet diagnosed her with feline herpes, and gave her some medicine. We also started a second dose of medicine for coccidia, because she is still having diarrhea.
Since we got back from the vet, she has been hiding. I understood this, and gave her time to come out on her own.
However, she also has not even touched her food. She hasn't eaten anything all day. I got her to lick a little gravy off my finger (she is doing EXCEPTIONALLY well on the socializing aspect), but that's it.
I'm worried she is going to make herself sicker. Is there anything else I can try to coax her to eat and drink?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and mention this. She most likely does not feel well. Any canned with fish? Toppers like freeze dried chicken?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FosterMeowma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and mention this. She most likely does not feel well. Any canned with fish? Toppers like freeze dried chicken?
For some reason, it wouldn't let me log in to my account, so I had to make a new one.
I'll call the vet right away. She still hasn't ate anything, won't eat dry food at all, won't eat treats or toppers at all. The only food I've had any luck with getting her to eat in the week I've had her is wet kitten food and pumpkin. And now she won't even eat that.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is congested, she may not be able to smell the food, and if she can't smell it, she won't eat. Try running hot water in a bathtub/shower with the door closed, to build up steam, and then sit with her in the bathroom for 5 or so minutes to see if that helps with the congestion. Also, get the stinkiest food you can find (fish works best) and warm it up to really bring the stink out. (not too hot though - maybe just put a little warm water in it) That will help her smell it. Doesn't have to be kitten food for this, you just want her to eat right now.