Foster Cat With Different Personalities

mikkay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I work with a cat rescue, trying to socialize non adoptable cats. I got a cat 11 weeks ago that came from a shelter. The rescue has no history on him. He hates hands, and if you try to pet him, he lashes out with his claws. It took me 8 weeks for him to come out from hiding. I got no where with him ( tried feliway and rescue remedy) until I tried Jackson Galaxy Feral Flower with him. He is now coming out, letting me pet him with a glove on, playing with da bird on a string, and taking tuna from the gloved hand. This is where it gets confusing. He plays and interacts with me at our 3pm play time. I spend about 45 minutes with him. At 6 pm he gets his wet food, he comes out eagerly, eats, then goes back under dresser. Won't come near me. At 9pm he gets Temptation treats. He won't come out, I give them to him with a long spoon. If I get to close, he lashes out at me. I don't understand why he is my friend at 3pm, then wants to tear my hand off at 9pm. Does anybody have any ideas why.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
In our house, 11-3 pm is kitty naptime. Once evening hits they get more active. Could of be that he’s a little more mellow and sleepy during the day, and at night he’s a little too charged up?

I know there may be lots of possibilities including pain or arthritis that gets worse at night, sounds or smells that change or bad associations from his unknown history.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anything change in your household during that time? People coming home from work, kids from school, anything of that sort?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikkay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anything change in your household during that time? People coming home from work, kids from school, anything of that sort?
No, nothing changes. Everything stays the same

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I shall ponder this. Dunno what good it will to. To quote "The King and I," "Tis a puzzlement."

mikkay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I shall ponder this. Dunno what good it will to. To quote "The King and I," "Tis a puzzlement."
Yes it is puzzling. The cat that rubs against my legs, purrs, and wants me to pet him at 3pm is swiping at me and treats me like a stranger at 9pm.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, lots of cats will only allow petting at a particular time, granted usually when sleepy which doesn't seem to be what is going on here, or in a particular spot right? This could be a more extreme version given the cat's baseline, but I guess i'd approach it like the regular scenario. My normal advice is too do what the cat wants, meaning interact at 3, but add some cues to it. Summon the cat at 3 with a call noise, shake the treat bag, whatever, the point being to try to link some cues to the acceptable play time/location. Then try and use those cues at other times to summon the cat to the same location at a different time. Beyond that, just be patient, keep interacting in the ways the cat allows and not forcing other interactions if the cat can't be coaxed with cues. I haven't tried this approach with a cat with this type of disposition so YMMV.

mikkay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, lots of cats will only allow petting at a particular time, granted usually when sleepy which doesn't seem to be what is going on here, or in a particular spot right? This could be a more extreme version given the cat's baseline, but I guess i'd approach it like the regular scenario. My normal advice is too do what the cat wants, meaning interact at 3, but add some cues to it. Summon the cat at 3 with a call noise, shake the treat bag, whatever, the point being to try to link some cues to the acceptable play time/location. Then try and use those cues at other times to summon the cat to the same location at a different time. Beyond that, just be patient, keep interacting in the ways the cat allows and not forcing other interactions if the cat can't be coaxed with cues. I haven't tried this approach with a cat with this type of disposition so YMMV.
Thank you and I think you are correct. Tonight at Temptation treat time, I also got out his back scratcher and da bird to play with him. Total turn around. He acted like the 3pm cat. If it continues, I have learned something. He got grouchy at night because he wanted me to spend time with him. I will keep you posted and thank you.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try turning on a radio so there is noise going on all the time. I am thinking that it will make the times in between less noticeable. Might help blend together the times.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My normal advice is too do what the cat wants, meaning interact at 3, but add some cues to it. Summon the cat at 3 with a call noise, shake the treat bag, whatever, the point being to try to link some cues to the acceptable play time/location. Then try and use those cues at other times to summon the cat to the same location at a different time. Beyond that, just be patient, keep interacting in the ways the cat allows and not forcing other interactions if the cat can't be coaxed with cues.
Well, THAT is kinda genius! I'm SO glad you are here!