foster cat has diarrea

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster cat has had diarrrea since I got him like a month ago. I thought he was getting better but hes been at an adoption center for the past week and everyone there says he has diarrea all the time. He acts normal. I think its the wet food but they all keep giving it to him because he begs for it. Im bringing him home tomorrow. Do you think I should call a vet or just not give him wet food?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet & have a stool sample taken in to be checked for parasites/coccidia/giardia. It is possible that it is the wet food, but it is also possible that he is stressed. Many cats at the shelter here have loose stools because of the stressful environment.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A month is too long to be having diarrhea due to food adjustments. I would assume a parasite, worm or other infectious or opportunistic organism and suggest you seek medical treatment. Coccidia causes diarrhea by *destroying* the walls of the intestine and acn be very serious if untreated.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also vote for a vet visit. If this little one has had diarrhea for a month, chances are he/she is also getting dehydrated.

I'd want a vet to rule out parasites and such before doing any "home rememdies".

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say also take him to the vet but I will tell you this: gabriel had loose stools for over a month and accidents. I adopted him from a shelter and he was very scared at first and very skiddish. It wasn't until I got a second cat box that everything sorted itself out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I will take a stool sample to the vet.