Fortiflora SA Synbiotic

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora SA Synbiotic Action for Cats - Heartland Vet Supply

I have never heard of this and it's not on Amazon. Has anyone used it? Ingredients are different. My cat was taking advita. Regular stool yesterday,diaheria today and starting to loose her appetite again

Psyllium, Liver Flavor, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Beta-carotene, Salt, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

No biggie but on purina website first ingredient is liver flavor then Psyllium. Heartland opposite

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I noticed that on the website for Heartland that they are interchanging "dog" and "cat". That kind of thing bothers me; if this is the one for cats they need to delete the word "dog" and check their sources.

All I can find, which may not be correct, is that it appears that in the dog version of SA the first ingredient is psyllium whereas in the cat version the first ingredient is liver flavor. The ingredients are also listed in a different order which indicates different amounts. The site below compares them.

FortiFlora SA Synbiotic Action Prebiotic and Probiotic.

I have used FortiFlora Calming Care successfully, but don't have any experience with this one.

TCS threads which mention it
Search Results for Query: fortiflora SA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Can i use FortiFlora Calming Care with appetite stimulant metazapine? Metazapine makes her meow constantly

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Calming Care was recommended by my vet for a cat who had anxiety issues. It is not a sedative, so it is not something that would make the cat sleepy or unconscious, but supposedly works over a period of time. My cats like the flavor, just as members report that FortiFlora (original formula) makes cats eat...sort of like a topper.

Mirtazapine | VCA Animal Hospitals
Drug interactions are here.

If your cat is meowing on mirtazapine, ask the vet if a lower dosage would be okay to try.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The mirtazapine is 1/4 15 mil tab. I cut the 1/4 tab in half Hopefully it's enough

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mirtazapine is 1/4 15 mil tab. I cut the 1/4 tab in half Hopefully it's enough
1/4 of 15 mg is 3.75 mg. That might still be too much.

How big is your cat? Betty was briefly on mirtazapine at 1/4 of the 7.5 mg tablets for a dosage of 1.88. Betty was just shy of 10 lbs when she was taking this. Krista was smaller than Betty. She probably also took 1/4 of the 7.5 mg tablets.

I also found with both Krista and Betty that the meowing was usually confined to a "rush" period of one to two hours after taking the medicine. If I just let either one of them ride it out in my lap with soothing pets, when the rush subsided, they'd hit the plate and that was the last I heard of the excessive meowing until the next dose.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is 9.2 pds. It also made her aggressive. Tomorrow morning will be just 1/8 tablet. I will try giving her more attention