Fortiflora (probiotic)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any expericence (good or bad) with Fortiflora? The vet has recommended it for Swanie, but I see its made by Purina and I'm not a big fan of Purina. If its something that will help him, I'm all for it, but I'd love to get some opinions on it first.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its really just two strains of probiotic with concentrated flavor. Its great for sick cats, because when sprinkled on food the flavor makes the food VERY palatable (dry or wet) and the probiotic is great after antibiotic treatment which unfortunately kills off the good and bad bacteria alike.

I have used it for some time, and my cats really enjoy it. I found it was much cheaper online than from my vet though.

You can just go to the health food refrigerated section of most grocery stores though and pick up acidophilus for humans. They have childrens ones and simply weaker potency capsules, and half of one should suffice. You can butter and pill it, toss it in a pill pocket, or crush it into wet food, and it does the same job at much lower expense. It just doesn't have the nice flavorings cats enjoy.

Cliffs Notes: Its a great product, you can't go wrong. But you can get it cheaper online, or just get human acidophilus at the grocery store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll check for cheaper sources once this box from the vet is gone.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also use the people acidophilus from the grocery store and give one half capsule as needed. Works very well and cost effective.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the ingredients on it? That stuff is animal digest, flavor, flavor, then probiotics. GREAT for kitties who are not eating... Highly addictive, IMHO there are MUCH better probiotics out there, without all the nasties.
IMHO, as far as veterinarian probiotics goes, nothing beats Proviable-DC (recommended by my 2 vets, different clinics). I buy it on Amazon because it is much cheaper...
Here is the info on it: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Prod...viable-dc.aspx
Here is where I buy: Proviable-DC
Bene-bac is also a good choice.... I would not use Fortiflora... no way - unless as I said, my cat was not eating; but not as a regular probiotic.