Former Feral Kitten Separation Anxiety - Help!

dutch7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our formerly feral kitten, whose about five months old now, has separation anxiety. She'll actually force our french master bedroom doors open and take a pee on our bed when we've left for the day. She's done it twice now over the span of two weeks.

I would say she's pretty bonded; having to be in the same room as us at all times, often sleeping on our laps, and so on.

Besides her, it's just myself, my wife, and our little Yorkie in the house.  We spent a lot of time with her the last three months domesticating her.

Any tips? 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A visit is in order, I think. This type of behavior is probably health related. It could be behavioral, but I'd check to make sure there isn't a health issue first, such as a bladder infection.

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does sound like she has some separation anxiety (I've never heard of a kitten opening double doors- she must have skill!
), but as hexiesfriend suggested, a vet visit would confirm if she has any health issues related with the urinating on the bed- urinating outside of her litter box can be symptoms of UTI, feline interstitial cystitis, or bladder stones or blockage. 

About treating the separation anxiety- since she is formerly feral, she may have more problems with separation anxiety. Cats love to entertain themselves with cat toys. Perhaps you could purchase some cat toys that she could entertain herself with, like catnip toys, toy mice or crinkle balls. My oldest 10 year old cat Gracie used to suffer from severe separation anxiety, and when I bought a tall cat condo for her in the nursery she loved it and would jump from level to level every day.

Some cats will have less separation anxiety if confined to a small, dark quiet room during the day (with litter boxes, food/water, toys, etc.) where they can sleep and play. That isn't the case with all cats, but it may work for your kitten. 

Does your cat like to play with the Yorkie? They could be play partners during the day as well- of course, if they get along with each other, of course. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dutch7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response.

I took the kitten, and by kitten I mean five month old, to the vet earlier in the week and I was told she's perfectly healthy. Also, she has plenty of toys and a proper scratching post.

She really is a cute, sucky little cat.