Formal feral cat that scared of men

catlover3083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My rescue Sadie is a formal feral that was rescued from a large colony and has really made alot of progress in the last 2 years with socialization with my other cat Cloe that I adopted at the same time as her. She is totally in love with me and I am the same about her, she cuddles with me and has no problems with me at all. My boyfriend is another story. Sadie has become more comfortable with him over time and will go up to him for treat time for a pet. Other than that she will run away from him if he tries to come by and pet her. She will run as soon as she hears him come into a room or walk by her. He doesn't force the issue or force her to do anything she doesn't want to. How do we help Sadie to know that my boyfriend doesn't want to hurt her and he just wants to love her as well? Thanks for the advice.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Sadie has gone up to him for treats and some petting, she is not scared at all. I'd say she is not yet sure about him. Your boyfriend is doing the right thing about not forcing the issue but I suggest he also avoids going to her to pet her. Let her come to him. Don't worry, I think Sadie just needs a bit more time to get used to your boyfriend. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover3083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks we will try that and see, it has been a year for her to get to this point but she is doing well in everything else. Some ferals never even get to where she is. She has 2 sisters that were her litter mates that live close to us and they are still confined to a few rooms in thier house and only trust one or 2 people.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is going to sound strange, but it works. When your boyfriend comes over, have him take a quick bath using lavender bubble bath, then change into clothes that were washed using a honeysuckle and lavender fabric softener.

This assumes that he will be staying at least several hours. Then right before he leaves, he can change back into his regular clothes.

I agree with Yayi that he should let her come to him. The scents I suggested are attractive to cats. I use them the way I told you, and my cats can't get enough of me when I get out of the bath or put on freshly washed clothes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover3083

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live with my boyfriend so we can use lavender essential oil on our clothes. I use Lavender Dr. Bronners all the time and he uses almond usually. Would a natural honey soap work as well? I don't like using fabric softeners because they are artificial and i stay away from them as much as I can.