forcing a cat to remain inside

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where I live, outdoor cats tend to get eaten. So says the vet.
I think it's important to assess the risks in the area and country you live in before deciding to let a cat outside- everyone's situation is different. I wouldn't let my cat out if there were raccoons or coyotes roaming around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat is that desperate to go out, I would let him go in the garden- he is escaping from you any way. 
Even if he leaves the backyard and the only way back in is through a road that leads to the front of the house?

Even if he was an "expensive" breed that could easily be stolen?

Even if there are foxes roaming the area (don't know if it would be a problem though)?

When I went to the vet, last week, there was this ads board where most of the messages were related to missing cats - from 2, 3, 4 months ago!!!

Well, maybe I wound't have a problem as you suggest, but I don't want to risk losing him forever...

The escaping, that's what I am trying to prevent + finding alternatives for him to get some fresh air.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The road is a risk - very true, so you would have to decide the level of risk. I don't live near a very busy road- only the drive onto a slow road - but my cat tends to stay around the back of the house in our garden and most of the neighbours gardens. She likes to sit with the neighbours dog!

Expensive breed - again I suppose it is a risk

There are lots of foxes where I live, I've actually watched my cat chase off a fox from our front door, I was very shocked. But that's not to say that cats/kittens can't be harmed by foxes I suppose it's also a possibility.

I hope you find an answer to your problem and get some peace and quiet - but if your cat wants to go out that badly he will make a fuss!! :vibes:

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also cats do not venture as far as you may think- there was a TV documentary earlier this year where lots of indoor/outdoor cats from a UK village had cameras put on their collars to see how far they ventured and how they negotiated their territories with each other. It was fascinating many just went around the block at the same times every day, and they avoid conflict with each other.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat was allowed to go out, I know that he wandered far, because I had to go collect him every night to bring him in. Once, I remember going through the middle of the woods way far away from my house, to the point where I wasn't sure that I knew how to get back to my house and there my kitty was, way off in the woods, having an African safari (so to speak). I spent some cold dark scary nights trying to find him in the woods, before I finally decided to keep him indoors.

I now keep him in (except when he manages to escape), because no amount of fun offsets getting eaten by a coyote.

My kitty would also wander through the cornfields by our house and that made me super uncomfortable. If my cat got chased by a coyote, what was he going to do, climb a cornstalk?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to decide what's best for your cat. 

Eclipse would love to be an indoor/outdoor cat but he would be roadkill within a week.  He has no sense and wants to run home if a loud truck drives down the street even if it means running in front of it.  He also like to eat grass but the lilies in the neighborhood have leaves that look like grass and he would eat them.  Those do not make a cat sick right away, but cause kidney damage and can kill.  He will have to settle for walks on a leash.  I also  have cat trees by windows and birdseed by them around the house,  And we adopted a second cat so he has a playmate.  Can you say spoiled?

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update: No good. I was using the tent for 3 weeks now, but...

Yesterday, for the first time in years, he hissed at me and was incredibly aggressive when I tried to put him inside the tent. He does not accept it.

I fear I have no choice but allow him to go outside on his own. He's crying insistently, isn't interested in playing with me, tries to run everytime I will walk him...

I tried everything I could and the fact that I am living in a shared accommodation doesn't help either... at all!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Letting your cat be indoor/outdoor will cut down on his life expectancy significantly. Know that before you make your choice.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to google this because I'm sure others have had this issue. Some of the suggestions seem like good ones just based on my own experience with cats wanting to sneak out (but not to the extent of your problem). 

One thing mentioned was let them out when it's snowing. Not sure if you have snow, so that may not work. I can say that I am more than happy to hold the door open for my kitties to go out when it's snowing. I think Lucky stepped out there and then looked at us like we were crazy for letting him out there before jumping back in, clearly annoyed. Sara just meowed and bounced back in. Lucky didn't try so much the last couple years, and Sara stopped after her hyperthyroidism started getting treated. Now we have to watch the kittens, but they are just curious.

Then there was the idea of ignoring the cat, but it could take WEEKS of listening to him yowl before he gets the idea.

Another idea was establishing a pattern with the walks. Only at certain times, no exceptions. 

I've never had a cat want to get out THAT badly. I've always had indoor cats and yes, some would sneak out when we opened the door. Lucky was out overnight in the rain shortly after we moved to our current house, and Sara was gone for a week once! But none of them yowled because they were stuck in the house. 

Just throwing another idea out there - is it possible he's lonely for another cat? Not sure if you said you have another one or not.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I have a cat who wants to be indoor/outdoor but I force him to stay indoors. He escapes whenever he can manage to slip past one of us. (Usually the kids)

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thank you all once again for your opinions and feedback.

Yesterday I went to the vet and my cat did something that I would never expect from him. He was very aggressive and scratched the vet so badly the arm was bleeding a lot. I've never seen my cat acting like this, and this makes me feel deeply sad. I feel I don't recognize my cat anymore :( 

This is a clear sign of frustration for me.

The vet just said "this won't work!" and gave up. Didn't do the vaccinations. Said that my cat is clearly upset and asked whats wrong. 

I said he has been crying a lot to go outside, while I am doing all I can to keep him happy indoors... Well, I feel he indirectly called my stupid by stating: "He's a cat! What were you expecting? Let him do his thing!"

This is not the first vet opinion suggesting this, even tough my cat's a persian and will most likely be stolen (best scenario).

Funny the contradictions I find because the majority of people here & websites i read say that making cats strictly indoors it's the responsible thing to do.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should find a new vet.

Keeping him inside is the responsible thing to do, both for your cat's wellbeing and local wildlife.

javo2004

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ratio is (since I have/noticed this problem):

- 2 Vets suggesting it would be beneficial for him to go outside on his own (this was the last opinion)

- 2 Vets, neutral, suggesting "I should do what I think it's the best for him"

... so far.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he at all scared or aggressive when you first brought him there? I've had to bring in cats in the past that were terrified and had to be handled with heavy-duty gloves. In one case it was a very small female cat! I'm surprised they didn't use those.

You may want to call around to vets and see if you can find one willing to work with you. That's ridiculous that the vet just said they couldn't do it. 

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of cats get scared and aggressive during visits to the vet, it maybe nothing to do with keeping him inside! I wonder if the ratio of pro:against keeping cats inside would differ if you asked the same question on a UK website!