Force feeding stressed cat. Need HELP getting her to eat on her own. What else can I do???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes the nutrigel usually mixes pretty easily with the food.  I had a kidney failure cat that I was giving that mixture too.
That;s great to hear. Do you have any idea on price? 

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If I remember correctly it's like $7-$10 at the vet.  (I work there so get a discount).
oh ok, that's a reasonable price. Thanks again :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you followed up with the vet since this is taking longer than anticipated?  Is she attempting to eat anything on her own?

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Have you followed up with the vet since this is taking longer than anticipated?  Is she attempting to eat anything on her own?
hey thanks for asking. Well, I got the nutri-cal from them and they said if she wasn't eating soon that we may want to get some medication. She's got a fair amount of her strength back, but still won't eat. She was getting upset and wanted out of the rec room. She was scratching the door and meowing a lot. I called the vet to get some medication. We got something called mirtazapine. Made the decision to let her out, and just stuff pillows and blankets under the couches so she wouldn't hide when needing to be fed, and put the new cat in the rec room.

We gave her the first dose. She still won't eat yet, she did drink some milk and a lot of water and licked some chicken. She was acting like she did before by whenever I;d open the fridge door she'd be right there wanting something. However, she wasn't eating anything. We gave her the last syringe feeding of the night just now.

The new cat is doing alright with me down here so far. I don't know how long she'll stay down here without getting distressed. With Abby the cat not eating, I don't know if I should try force feeding her a little less to see if she will eat on her own because I'm sure the force feeding adds to the stress and she has a lot of her strength back. Any suggestions? I've been stressing and Im sure it doesnt help her.

I also don't know what to do if the new cat wants out of the rec room desperately before Abby is eating on her own. If it is ok to use a spray bottle if she chases Abby to try and stop her from doing so.  Should i rub the new cat with a towel and take it to Abby so she smells her scent, or is the fact the new cat has already been up there the last week enough. thanks so much. 

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't understand you saying that you're taking the hiding places away from Abbey. I understand that you don't want her hiding when it comes to meal times, but if your cat is stressed and feeling threatened by the new cat, taking away something that they need to feel safe may be adding to the stress? Cat's need little places to hide.

You mention that she ate a little and licked a little bit of chicken. Sometimes human food can kick start an appetite. Worth trying a chicken broth (home made), or giving a little thin sliced ham or tuna water?  Perhaps even tuna itself if it helps. Yeah, I know too much fish is bad for cats, but in cases like this perhaps its worth trying something strong smelling and tasting.

Good luck and with the introduction later..

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't understand you saying that you're taking the hiding places away from Abbey. I understand that you don't want her hiding when it comes to meal times, but if your cat is stressed and feeling threatened by the new cat, taking away something that they need to feel safe may be adding to the stress? Cat's need little places to hide.

You mention that she ate a little and licked a little bit of chicken. Sometimes human food can kick start an appetite. Worth trying a chicken broth (home made), or giving a little thin sliced ham or tuna water?  Perhaps even tuna itself if it helps. Yeah, I know too much fish is bad for cats, but in cases like this perhaps its worth trying something strong smelling and tasting.

Good luck and with the introduction later..
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. We didn't take all her hiding spots away. She still hides under the gramophone and under neath the buffet. Just blocked places that she would hide and we wouldnt be able to get her out without upsetting her like a couch.

Been trying human food, anything I can think of. Haven't tried broth yet. I'm going try everything i can 

mico2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

We too, have a cat (9 yrs old) that hasn't been acting normally. We took her to the vet. Had a complete physical done and complete blood work. Everything looks good. She is drinking small portions of milk and a small handful of dry food. She insists on hiding so we have her in our bedroom, which is more accessible. We plan on getting her some cat nip tomorrow and see if that will inspire her to come around.

She has been acting this way for about two to three weeks. This behaviour came out of the blue. No changes have been made in our home. We are using the Feliway currently. How is your cat behaving now?

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi!

We too, have a cat (9 yrs old) that hasn't been acting normally. We took her to the vet. Had a complete physical done and complete blood work. Everything looks good. She is drinking small portions of milk and a small handful of dry food. She insists on hiding so we have her in our bedroom, which is more accessible. We plan on getting her some cat nip tomorrow and see if that will inspire her to come around.

She has been acting this way for about two to three weeks. This behaviour came out of the blue. No changes have been made in our home. We are using the Feliway currently. How is your cat behaving now?
My cat has been doing much better, thank you for asking. We let the other cat out about a week or so ago. We've stopped force feeding and medicating Abby and she has been eating on her own and standing up for herself against the new cat. The only concern is the new cat seems to like to intimidate Abby when she goes to the litte. We have one box upstairs and another upstairs and try to stop the new cat Annie, before she runs after Abby in the litter box.

My concern is that there has been no changes in your household to account for the change in behaviour. Also, the small amount of food your cat is consuming. Perhps you should talk to the vet to see how much she should be consuming at her weight. It might be necessary to assist feed pr medication to increase appetite. . Is it possible to play nature sounds on a cd player or on a laptopn through youtube which has some greats audio nature sounds , some lasting 10 hours for when you can't be around? 

I'm a strong believer in giving as much love and attention as possible to lift a cat's spirits and that it can make a difference.  Trying different foods until you find the right one may be neccessary. Abby started eating extra lean ground beef.