Force feeding stressed cat. Need HELP getting her to eat on her own. What else can I do???

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago  on Sunday my parents adopted a new cat that is nearly two years old. We already had a 14 year old cat, ‘Abby’, at home. The new cat Annie was chasing Abby around, just wanting to play, but it was stressing Abby and upsetting her. I noticed Abby was eating less during the week, then wasn’t eating at all.

After the second day (Friday) I didn’t see her eat, we took her to the vet. The vet did some blood work and everything was fine, so it is stress related, which I had suspected due to the timing. We brought Abby home and I have her down with my in the basement with the door closed for about 3 or so days now

I have a feliway diffuser plugged in and also bought the spray, some cat nip spray and some herbal drops called “tromos”. I’ve tried to give her so many different types of food like canned fancy feast among other cans, human food like chicken and baby food. She’ll smell it, but has no interest in eating. The only thing she’s shown interest in is the gravy in the foil packets of Whiskas wet food.

We’ve had to force feed her food and water with a syringe, as she’s drank some water on her own, but very little. The first couple times she threw up, but has been fine since. We’ve been mixing a can of Hill’s A/D with a bit of water and she’s been getting a can a day through syringe as well as about 50ml of water in a syringe, in addition to the water in and mixed with the wet food and the little bit of water she’s had on her own.

At first we gave her just a bit at a time 5x a day, but now we are giving her more at once, 3x a day. Hopefully this will give her more time to relax in between feedings and trying to eat on her own, though I do try in the morning when she has gone a while without feeding with no luck

She seems to be getting a bit stronger and doesn’t seem stressed out in the basement. She is a little upset after feeding, but it isn’t too messy and she seems better after cleaning herself. Today she ate a tiny bit of chicken I gave her, so I hope she will slowly begin to eat more on her own.

I feel this is going to be a slow process. First getting her eating on her own, and then seeing if we can possibly slowly re-introduce the cats, though I am afraid that everything will start all over.

I’m looking for any advice I can get to help getting her eating on her own. She normally has an insane appetite. I hope once she gets most of her strength back from the lack of food last week she will, but I could really use some help. If it is psychological, I figure there is no set time frame, but does anyone else have a similar experience?

Thank you so much. 

xinghua31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only thing I can suggest is making her food a play time. Try throwing some dry biscuits (or some treats like Dreamies) onto the floor like a game.

I hope this helps!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take Abby into a room with you and offer her some warmed up canned food with plain meat baby food added (turkey or chicken, no onions and no garlic).  Give her lots of attention by herself and tell her that you love her.  Defend her when the new kitty is around.  Did you do a slow introduction or did you just put them together?  If you didn't do the slow intro, then you might want to try that and read this article:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Take Abby into a room with you and offer her some warmed up canned food with plain meat baby food added (turkey or chicken, no onions and no garlic).  Give her lots of attention by herself and tell her that you love her.  Defend her when the new kitty is around.  Did you do a slow introduction or did you just put them together?  If you didn't do the slow intro, then you might want to try that and read this article:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats
Thanks for the advice. I've tried baby food, but no luck. Though it wasn't warmed up.  For now, we are keeping the cats separate. Abby is in the basement with me and has her food, water, litter, and fireplace she loves laying in front of, so the new cat can't come down to bother her. So at least she doesn't have that stress.

My parents just brought the cat home. I think they figured it has never been a problem before with bringing a new cat. However, I think it has usually been a new kitten, whereas this new cat is full grown and twice Abby's size.

I really hope we can get her to eat on her own and do a slow introduction. I am afraid of it just making things back to where they were. Assuming she will start eating on her own. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's not eating on her own, then you'll need to syringe feed her.  Warming the food up helps enhance the aroma and entices them to eat.  Do you have a Feliway diffuser in the basement?  If not, I'd highly recommend you get one for that area.  Also, and I know this is easier said than done, try not to stress as the kitty will pick up on your stress and that will stress her out even more.  Does she have a "safe place" in the basement with you like a box turned upside down where she can "hide" when she feels threatened?  Just knowing she has that place might help her.  Oh!  Use Bonito flakes to "treat" her to get her to eat.  Just sprinkle a few on her food.  You can usually find them in the section of the store where they have all the various Asian foods or at a pet store.

lilmiinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Giving her water through a surringe is a very bad idea as it could go in the wrong place. Try separating the cats for abit maybe? Your older cat might feel dominated? I know it took my cat maybe 3 months to actually get used to each other. Before that my older one was hissing and just Avoiding the other cat. He wasn't the same but now he's fine

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If she's not eating on her own, then you'll need to syringe feed her.  Warming the food up helps enhance the aroma and entices them to eat.  Do you have a Feliway diffuser in the basement?  If not, I'd highly recommend you get one for that area.  Also, and I know this is easier said than done, try not to stress as the kitty will pick up on your stress and that will stress her out even more.  Does she have a "safe place" in the basement with you like a box turned upside down where she can "hide" when she feels threatened?  Just knowing she has that place might help her.  Oh!  Use Bonito flakes to "treat" her to get her to eat.  Just sprinkle a few on her food.  You can usually find them in the section of the store where they have all the various Asian foods or at a pet store.
Hey thanks. Ya I have been syringe feeding her. Got a feliway diffuser in the basement and the spray as well.  I've tried to eliminate places for her to hide under in the basement, but she has been going under my foozeball table to clean herself after feeding.

Never heard of bonito flakes, but I'll look into it. thanks

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Giving her water through a surringe is a very bad idea as it could go in the wrong place. Try separating the cats for abit maybe? Your older cat might feel dominated? I know it took my cat maybe 3 months to actually get used to each other. Before that my older one was hissing and just Avoiding the other cat. He wasn't the same but now he's fine
Are you sure about the water? i've read its ok, and she seems to relax and enjoy the water, relative to taking the food.  Yeah, we're separating them for now. She's closed in to the basement with me. I guess it'll take time, I just hope she will start on her own. 

lilmiinx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just heard that because I worked at the SPCA. While I was force feeding they told me not to give water like that as it could go in tge lungs. I forgot the name... Pneumonia maybe..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The word is aspirate and it does lead to pneumonia.

If you add water to the wet food to get it liquid enough for the syringe, she'll be getting enough liquid in her.  You can also add plain Pedialyte (in the baby food section of the store, do not get the flavored kind) to help with nutrition.

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The word is aspirate and it does lead to pneumonia.

If you add water to the wet food to get it liquid enough for the syringe, she'll be getting enough liquid in her.  You can also add plain Pedialyte (in the baby food section of the store, do not get the flavored kind) to help with nutrition.
OK thanks I definitely don't want that to happen. I just read some sites where people had done so and my cat seemed to actually enjoy the water fed to her, compared to the food anyway.  Just concerned she isn't getting enough because I've read conflicting posts about how much calories and water cat's need.

She's getting about a can of the A/D a day which is 180 calories and she is around 10lbs I think. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you're going slowly enough and the syringe doesn't stick on you, an occasional syringe full of water is fine. However, adding water to the food is usually enough for hydration needs.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's the larger size of a/d, then she's getting enough nutrition.  You want to feed about 1/2 to 1 oz of canned food a day.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally she should be getting about 200 calories per day so if you can increase how much you are giving her that would be great.  When  I had my kidney cat who I had to force feed, I tried lots of different things, she liked it if I warmed her food up, she liked baby food, liked it if I mixed tuna fish with it.  Every cat is different.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That should be 1/2 - 1oz. Per pound of body weight a day so 5.5 oz would be good, but more would be better.

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That should be 1/2 - 1oz. Per pound of body weight a day so 5.5 oz would be good, but more would be better.
OK thanks, and everyone else. I'll start giving her a bit more each day. Is there anything like an oil I can add to the food i feed in syringe for some dense calories? I heard of something called Nutrigel, but couldn't see any at PetSmart. Would a vet have this?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes most vets should have Nutrigel/Nutrical/High Cal (those are the different names for it).  It is very high cal.  Some cats will lick it right off the tube, the cat of mine that I'm trying to gain weight on won't touch it.

Last edited:

wakeme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes most vets should have Nutrigel/Nutrical/High Cal (those are the different names for it).  It is very high cal.  Some cats will lick it right off the tube, the cat of mine that I'm trying to gain weight on won't touch it.
I use a blender to mix her food with a little bit of water. Do you think the nutrigel would mix together with the food and water? thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the nutrigel usually mixes pretty easily with the food.  I had a kidney failure cat that I was giving that mixture too.