Force/assist feeding, I feel awful

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

We just got back from the vet. I got a different vet this time (who I actually liked better), and he told me that the blood work said something different from what the regular vet told me, so Im a little upset and unhappy about that. It's his liver though. We gave him sub-q fluids and I brought the bag home so I can give him more tomorrow. I'm also going back to pick up my liver food tomorrow but until then it's just the Iams. The vet said he could be getting worse before he gets better, and not to give up hope yet (he also said dont cry
) I just wondered though, he got a pretty big shot of B12, and that's why his pee is so yellow but I wonder if it could have turned his skin a little yellow too. They said to keep doing what we're doing, with the feeding and just to keep an eye on him, and that it could take several weeks to see progress. Thanks so much for all the vibes guys. I've been in tears most of the day but Im really trying to be positive
Dear MonaxLisa
I can sympathize with what you're going through. To make a long story short, my two year old kitten Samson was diagnosed with hepatitis of the pancreas in early Sept.

He was slowly wasting away and had become skeletal (he was repulsed by food). I had to assist feed him and he would only tolerate half a tablespoon at a time. So every hour there I was trying to feed him. Some nights I was up till 1:00 just to make sure he was getting some food. Then I'd be up at 6:00 in the morning to start all over.

I had to give him 5 different medications a day and he's still on Denamarin. (I'm so glad to learn of the thistle milk, I will check with my vet to see if he will benefit from that).

Giving him the meds was the hardest part. I can't even begin to tell you how much I cried because despite my best efforts it would stress him out so much, poor lil thing. And there was such little progress, I really thought I was going to lose him. I prayed and prayed for him, but one night I was driving home from some errands and I was especially discouraged and *scared*. I was crying and praying when I heard an inner voice tell me "You give up too easily" There was no doubt in my mind that that was Our Lord talking to me, so I thanked Him, and rushed home with renewed hope, although I was still crying

Today Samson is doing *so* much better. He has put on some weight. He's still not 100% where I would like him to be, but now when I pet him, I can feel that layer of skin over his bones
which is amazing. I still have to assist feed him, but he takes it well and is eating much more heartily.

So don't give up and pray for your baby, God is good and miracles do happen!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I came to TCS because the cat we adopted had hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). I force fed Albus with a syringe for 10 weeks before he finally got his liver levels up and was eating on his own again. It was awful but he made it through and now he's completely healthy (maybe a little too healthy
)

Just keep doing what you're doing to get him fed, and keep pursuing whatever the medical cause of this is.

I'll PM you the advice I gave to another volunteer from the shelter I volunteer at who was also going through the process of hepatic lipidosis...I don't know if that's what your Arthur has, but I had a lot of practical information for feeding him that might be helpful to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say thanks again
You guys are really making me feel a lot better, and its so great to hear that kitties have gotten better even after so long of being ill.
I picked up my L/D food today, its pretty much corn meal in geletain and Im worried that I should have gotten the A/D instead, even though the L/D is for liver disease and it's the kind the vet recommended.
Arthur didnt keep his breakfast down, but everything since has stayed down, I just gave him a little bit (5cc) of the Hills food since I dont want him to get queasy from the change from Iams.

songbyte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm having the same issue with my 12 year old cat, angus. i took him to the vet who has given me a regimen of meds, sub-q hydration, and hill's a/d food, as well as antibiotics. he's only been on it a week. so far, he's not keeping down his food and takes well to being given the meds. i'm hand feeding him, since he's uninterested in food. he has perked up and is alert.

i'm off to feed him now. this forum has helped a lot.

songbyte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
correction, that should be my cat angus is now keeping down his food. thanks to the info post here, i'll feed him small amounts several times a day.