For you techies, question about televsions.....

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

here is some info I found.I would NOT however suggest you do this yourself--as it WILL VOID ALL warranties!!!
You may have misread somewhere. Changing your settings will not void your warranty. Everyone does this, the OP of this thread has already done that. What will void your warranty is if you get into the SERVICE MENU - which is different from your regular controls for colors, white, black, etc. Generally the service menu has a code you have to enter to get to, and to find that code you'd have to seek it out (likely online). If done, you'll get into something that looks more like this.

So don't worry anyone. Adjusting your color levels will not void your warranty.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

also, we just bought a 32" Insignia for my Daughter.They told us that LG does infact make them.
Well then they lied to you. Insignia is owned, operated, and sold by Best Buy. LG is primarily out of Korea. LG has joint ventures with Royal Philips Electronics and Hitachi, and are associated with the LS group, GS group, and the LIG group, but that's it. They are completely unrelated.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have a samsung lcd and love it! We didnt really like the way the plasmas looked so we went for lcd and have had no trouble what so ever with ours! In fact it caused the Beaus family to go out and buy a samsung as well.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Samsungs do look great. But if you get a large one always get an extended warranty or use a credit card that extends your warranty. There are some common lcd problems that they get, too - usually right after their manufacturer warranty is up. Their customer support is so so, and depends on who you get on the phone.

Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Ok I didn't know that. But even still, just because it has LG parts doesn't mean it is LG. It's still designed and manufactured by Best Buy. And seeing how it's lower grade LG parts, it can't really stand up to the original LG.
Different software, too. You can take two products, say computers, with the same hardware and install a buggy OS and bloated software on one and on the other put a more stable OS and lighter software. Same computer, but which one will run better?

(even an older pc can run faster than a newer one if the new one is running a bad os... like vista)

ETA: Found it, Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co. Ltd. makes the Insignias. They use some LG and other manufacturers parts.