For those who had kittens that became cuddly adults...

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just wondering how the personality of your adult cuddly lap cat was when he or she was a kitten... Was (s)he always culldy, even as a kitten, or did the personality change as (s)he grew older?

silverbook

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat was young he wasn't very cuddly. He did not become cuddly until he was a senior kitty.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday was quite a timid kitten - we got her from a shelter at six weeks old and she was very tiny and frightened. But it didn't take long for her true cuddly nature to come out and she is, out of all the cats I've ever known, the most loving and cuddly of them all.

Cairo had a very traumatic kittenhood and I saved her from a shelter after she'd been there weeks. She was very hard work as she was so afraid of everything, had had no mother so didn't know how to clean herself or use litter - but it was worth it. She is very selectively affectionate but when she chooses to be, my my it's the biggest warm fuzzy in the world!

Sashka was mischevious, brave, reckless and a real room-lighter-upper! She was a treat to watch grow up. She is the least affectionate of my babies, and the least tolerant of affection, but she has her moments and then she gets overwhelmed with love and sometimes ends up nipping you because she's feeling so lovey!!

They're all different I suppose but I find that they get more loving as they get older and start to know and trust and love you better.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garfield was a cuddly love as a kitten. He fell of dh's lap once, because he was rolling around in such ecstacy that he didn't pay attention, and fell to the floor. He slept with the kids from day one, and still does.

Festie was a sweet cuddly love, born here, and cuddled and loved by dd from the time she was old enough to be handled. She gave lots of nose kisses, and slept with dd. Now she is a crochety old bag. But when she does sit on my lap and purr, it is like pure gold to me!

I assume you are asking because you are thinking of getting a kitten. Ideally, you will get one that has been handled nicely from very young. But any cat will develop its own personality.

My day in day out nicest kitty is Will, who was born at the dairy farm across the street. He is still an outside cat, but is always ready for loving. He comes from a home of extremely friendly cats. I think it is genetic and environmental.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyviking

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I actually have two kittens already, one is 4 mo. and the other one 5 mo. The oldest one, Jasmine, was very very cuddly right away, but she was also ill. She was very gentle and calm, and still is, but she's not much of a cuddler anymore. She prefers to be left alone most of the time. She's not scared or shy, just not a cuddler. Very sweet though. Senja, the younger one, was more skittish when we first got her, and she will cuddle a bit more and one to like to sit on someone's lap

I am mostly just curious how much their personality can and will change, and how much we at this stage can predict what they're gonna be like; cuddly or not. Of course it's impossible to know for sure, but I thought it'd be interesting to know what other adult cuddly cats have been like as kittens.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie is only cuddly in the morning, when he loves to lie on top of us, or drape himself across our shoulders. Occasionally he'll sit on your lap. The exception is when one of us is trying to read the newspaper - then he always comes to cuddle, no matter what time of day. He was like that as a kitten, as well.

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Misto did not become a lap cat until he was about 6 or 7 years old. So there's always hope!

But be careful what you wish for: They can turn into lap fungus, sitting there for hours and pinning you down, full bladder notwithstanding.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MikeAnderson

But be careful what you wish for: They can turn into lap fungus, sitting there for hours and pinning you down, full bladder notwithstanding.

That is sooo true...

My kitties are cuddled from day 1 and JC is such a demonstrative, affectionate boy, even with the other cats. Joey went through "stand-offish" phase till I got more kittens, then decided he'd better cash in on the senior-cat status with "mom".

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocky isn't a "lap cat" but he is very affectionate friendly cat, and hasn't changed much since he was a kitten. I associate this to the following reasons:
His mother was fostered in a home and he recieved a lot of handling, especially by a young child.
He was the last of his litter to leave his mother- was probably at least 12 weeks old.
He has always needed a lot of TLC from being sick frequently, and appreciates the attention.
He doesn't usually go on my lap, but likes to sit next to you while you watch TV, likes to be in the same room. In the early morning he becomes Mr. Lovebug, with kissing, purring and sitting right on your neck! He also demands attention if he feels he needs it! He is also great with the kittens so far. Suzie is now "his"- she gets kisses like we do and if he thinks her brother is hurting her he gets pinned down!
Of course I think purrsonality is also very individual. The two kittens I have now are littermates, the same background, and they are like night and day.

sullaford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My buttons is super cuddly. He is BIG into the kneading thing. He was super playful as a kitten. He's 1.5 years old now... feels like a grown cat at 13.5 pounds, he's all lean muscle too. But when he was tiny I used to zip him up in my sweatshirt and he would be so happy snuggling on my belly with his head poking out from inside(i would have the zipper up to about mid-chest level). He has never once been mean or shy. Never growled nor hissed. I don't know if it's just who he is or if it's because we've treated him so lovingly.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola has reached "sexual maturity" (well, as much as she can, anyway, having gotten a pediatric spay...anyway, she's 7 months old) and I noticed a slight shift in her personality. She is calming down, she is not as frenetic, but she is very much a snuggler and is getting more snuggly as time goes by. She was always very, very loving and affectionate.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

He doesn't usually go on my lap, but likes to sit next to you while you watch TV, likes to be in the same room. In the early morning he becomes Mr. Lovebug, with kissing, purring and sitting right on your neck! He also demands attention if he feels he needs it! He is also great with the kittens so far. Suzie is now "his"- she gets kisses like we do and if he thinks her brother is hurting her he gets pinned down!
Rocky sounds like my Chester! He REFUSES to sit on my lap, regardless of how much I beg, but does like to sit on the footstool near my feet, or on the arm of the chair where I'm sitting. He was a cuddily kitten because he was sick when I first got him. Clearing up that URI certainly showed his true nature! He's also taken on Dolly as his "girlfriend", trying to clean her face and give her loves and kisses (to which she usually scrunches up her face at and gives a "no hugs no kisses" look before they end up in a big ball of play).

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Rocky sounds like my Chester! He REFUSES to sit on my lap, regardless of how much I beg, but does like to sit on the footstool near my feet, or on the arm of the chair where I'm sitting. He was a cuddily kitten because he was sick when I first got him. Clearing up that URI certainly showed his true nature! He's also taken on Dolly as his "girlfriend", trying to clean her face and give her loves and kisses (to which she usually scrunches up her face at and gives a "no hugs no kisses" look before they end up in a big ball of play).
They definitely sound similar. He is also funny- he doesn't mind being picked up at all, while Zakk will put up with it for 3 minutes tops, then the claws start to dig in to the shoulder. I do have a picture somewhere of a rare moment- I'm passed out with a book on my chest on the couch, and rocky is laying on me, on his back nestled next to the couch. He was really young then, less than 6 months.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat. Some I've had over the years went from cuddlers to just wanting o be held on their terms and vice versa.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiki was a feral kitten with a bad eye infection. She was always playful, even when sick, and would crawl up to my chest. I think her mother abandoned her at 4 weeks because of the sickness.

Now, she's Ms. Super Cuddle. She does her own thing in general, but when she's in the mood (or at bedtime) -- she literally wants to be held like an infant and constantly pushes her head into my face -- she could do it for hours if I let her. When I go to sleep, she walks around the bed and then collapses underneath my chin.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My oldest, Katie who's 12, has been a lap cat since she was a kitten. Anytime I sit down, it's an opportunity to be right there on top of me. Gracie is extremely affectionate, but the only time she sits on my lap is when I have company. It's almost like she's trying to show that I'm hers, sooo cute. Peter is become more affectionate all the time. He'll curl up with me in bed and has climbed on my lap a couple of times, but doesn't stay long. I've heard that Claire was a lapcat with her former person. I hope she eventually feels comfortable enough to sit on my lap but, if not, that's fine too.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kitties are not particularly cuddly. Sibohan likes to be held for short periods of time and would rather come to you and lay on your lap to be stroked. Duke is more cuddly he will let you use him as a purring pillow and loves to be petted and scratched, but because of his siz he is difficult to cuddle.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe I'm still giggling over that "Lap Fungus" cat comment!!! hah!

My older cats are the most affectionate, the ones who most like to be held. Snickers & Dusty practically beg for the love. If there's a lap, they're on it! And Snickers keeps me warm at night, last night I used "him" instead of my comforter cuz it was all twisted... so I pushed my arm underneath him & he kept me warm.

My cats were always affectionate, except for one. Miss Jessie has always been a little on the skitzy side, but she has definitely chilled out in the last year or so since I switched their diets to canned only. Not sure why, but she seems more social & wanting to be petted / held more.