For those who had/have trouble with their weight

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

My favorite unitentionally cruel comment by adults is: "Oh, I didn't know you were pregnant - you're just starting to show!" followed by excited giggling...
Unintentional you say, followed by giggling?

Next time that happens, you tell the person, "Oh yeah, I guess we are due about the same time!" and look at the person's abdomen. I don't care if it's a stick-thin woman or a man, give it back to them.

You will get a very satisfying result, I promise.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Unintentional you say, followed by giggling?

Next time that happens, you tell the person, "Oh yeah, I guess we are due about the same time!" and look at the person's abdomen. I don't care if it's a stick-thin woman or a man, give it back to them.

You will get a very satisfying result, I promise.

Nice. I'll keep that one in mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

I don't know if you have tried Weight Watchers, but they teach you how to eat the foods you already have and can buy in the market.
Yes i have been on the points plan a few times. My mums been on and off it, she lost 30kg and has been maintaining it the last few years. I started it again a few months ago, but i always felt i needed a few more points as i was still hungry at night
So atm i'm just taking it slow, i weighed myself yesterday and lost 1.2kg the last week, and as little as it seems i've shed 6.2kg the last few months, thats including kinda messing up over christmas/new year, but i didn't gain any of it back, i just sorta drifted off my diet. And that's without a great deal of exercise too. Even though i'm not on the WW diet, i still eat some of their food, and my mum and i have the books and points calculator i still refer too if i feel it necessary.

I'm having instead of three whole meals, as i've heard it keeps you fuller to snack through the day rather than be hungry between meals. A plan that sort of follows like this:

B'fast - nutritional shake & a serve of fruit
Snack - veg soup
Lunch - shake & crackers/veg & l/f dip OR l/f philly cheese
Snack - soup or veg chips (Ajita brand, you should google them, they're REALLy good)
Dinner - proper meal either a ww frozen meal, or fish/chicken with veges
Snack - depends if i'm still peckish

I'm still tweaking it, it's not a plan i found but made myself so i know things will change.

I also am doing lots of lunges, sit ups, pushups, using dumbells with them and walking about. I'm a tad too heavy for the treadmill, and my father who claims to weigh less than me, and is 6'5" has run on that machine, which adds EXTRA weight but he gets on at me that if i use it i will break it and have to fork out $800!!! Pft. I have used it anyway when he doesn't know, mum encouraged me
God some people are gits.

Anyway, i'm SO surprised at the amount of people who have replied to this!!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another snack you can add is nuts - they are great snacks to have, but try and have ones without salt, such as almonds. You don't really need a lot to feel satisfied.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I as actually skinny most of my life. I was put on vitamins and medications to increase my appetite. I got a lung disese at age 29. I cam back again at 31. I gained 10 lbs. I came back again at 34 I was put on high doses of steroids and I gained about 55 lbs in a month. I hid in shame. I was embarassed to eat in front of people. Then I developed Fibromyalgia. I have learned to accept myself. I am 5'8" I weighed 125 lb. I know I will never be that again. I have no idea what I weigh right now
I don't own a scale. I am what I am

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i understand - i was overweight or obese [morbidly obese prior to surgery] almost all of my life.
my gastric bypass was covered by my insurance, except for about $2000.00 - which i borrowed from my parents & paid back in about a year.
this is me, prior to my surgery [i'm the one in maroon & black]

here, i'm the one on the left

& this is now - still considered 'obese' by the BMI charts, but much improved, IMO!

Wow, you look wonderful!
I've thought about this too.
I am barely under the weight limit of over 100 pounds overweight.
Plus I don't know if I can go without the income for however long
I would have to from the recovery.
I was always good with my weight until I was about 38 yrs old.
About 125-145 lbs.
I am now 48 and taking 4 different meds for depression and HBP.
Now over 200 lbs. (I don't usually admit this!)
I am 5'4"
I want off the meds and to not carry this weight anymore.
I just feel like I'm going to die when I try to really exercise.
I can walk a treadmill for about 20 min. or so.
I walk a lot at work.
But have the hot-flash crap now too and everything I do
I sweat like a hog!
I have been taking Provigil off and on for the last 1-2 months.
It really helps get me off my butt.
But my eating schedule and what I am eating is not healthy at all.
I work some 3rd shift some 2nd and my sleep schedule is so
messed up.
I need some stability and a plan I can follow.
I don't like all these "dinners"
I don't like cooked carrots, brocolli, green beans and
all the menu stuff they come up with.
I don't like most of it.
I need someone to work with my likes and dislikes and write
out a menu I can live with.
I don't do a lot of cooking, but can with a plan.

I did join WW and lost 30 pounds a few years back, but
once I stopped trying it all came back.
My schedule is just too crazy right now.
I need help.
Not sure where I'm going with this, just venting for now.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

Wow, you look wonderful!
I've thought about this too.
I am barely under the weight limit of over 100 pounds overweight.
Plus I don't know if I can go without the income for however long
I would have to from the recovery.
I was always good with my weight until I was about 38 yrs old.
About 125-145 lbs.
I am now 48 and taking 4 different meds for depression and HBP.
Now over 200 lbs. (I don't usually admit this!)
I am 5'4"
i was 47 when i had my surgery, & the morning of surgery weighed 295 - top weight the prior spring had been 306. i'm 5'2.5".i was only off work for 2 weeks, but i had a relatively sedentary job [also, the procedure was lap].
Originally Posted by pjk5900

I work some 3rd shift some 2nd and my sleep schedule is so
messed up.
I need some stability and a plan I can follow.
i'm not good w/menus, meal planning, etc. either. i do better w/groups - like on low-carb, where i can totally abstain from particular groups, but can eat pretty much all i want from the others. [not saying i'm GOOD at this, just better than at others].

some insurance cover it at lower weights if there are other co-morbidities present - HPB, syndrome X, diabetes or pre-diabetic, joint pain, sleep apnea - there's quite a list. check out what yours requires [assuming you have insurance, of course].

i also found [serendipitously] that my heartburn went away on the low-carb plan. there're several to choose from - Atkins, South Beach, SugarBusters. South Beach even has frozen dinners & other pre-prepared meals that are available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
pjk5900-- Are there any nutritionists in your area? They can help you divise an eating plan. Also at some gyms they do exercise regimes depending on your fitness level and what you want to achieve, at your own pace.

Another thing (which may sound really silly) is to look at the food pyramid, which we ALL learned in school
For people who haven't a clue, it just gives you the simple idea of how many serves of veges, fruits, grains, meat etc that you should have everyday. And unless you're diabetic, or have other nutrition type problems, this can be a good guide.

If you're clueless on general stuff some simple things are-
*Swap white bread for grain/wholemeal.
*If you find fruit unappealing, slice em up and make em into a nice fruit salad or put into jelly. *Same with veges, as you say you don't like alot of it. Dressing it up to look good, and adding other flavours with it can take off your mind the hatred you have for them.
*Juice is good for you, but it doesn't have as much nutrients as fresh fruit, and although you can get no added sugar, it still has alot of natural sugar. Mix 50% juice with 50% plain or sparkling water. Still fills you up the same but without the extra joules.
*Go for sugar free/artificially sweetened soft drinks if you like the fizzy stuff.
*Same with sweets, i have the biggest sweet tooth. If you like chocolate, go for your fancy artificially sweetened, or if you really crave the real stuff, the higher the cocoa content, the less the sugar, and more anti-oxidants too.
*I know the skin, fat and crackling on roasts is simply delicious, but something as simple as removing it (as hard as it may be) can save you kgs a year.
*Also adding extra salt to your meals can be nice, but getting into the habit of doing this with each meal can be bad for you, especially if you don't drink enough water, and it is also a big cause of raising blood pressure.

As you said you don't cook alot, maybe you could do something that i do. Pick a meal that you really, REALLY enjoy, but that is also low in fat and healthy, and make a bulk amount and freeze it. So that way, you have a week or 2 weeks or dinners out of the way.

I'm far from an expert, but if you want to pm me a list of the things you like and dislike, maybe i can give you a few more ideas? I don't charge anything

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas and I would be forever grateful if you can help me with some of my food choices.

I have to go to work now, but will be back online after 10pm central time.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.
It gives me a plan to look forward to, and
sometimes that's all you need.

Patty