for those of you with calicos or torties with tude to the MAX

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sibohan, My Calico is a princess and does the whole hissing thing too. She knocks Duke around on occasion, and I don't blame her he's twice her size and He likes to jump on her head.
But then again Duke is a special kind of stupid to continue jumping on her head. *Awww* the joys of being owned by cats.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally if the cat was that aggressive for no real reason, I'd not get another cat! Why put another cat in that situation. Some cats prefer to be the only one in the house.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love this post because I just had the same concerns as you until I introduced my two foster babies. Paris has a MAJOR attitude. She's the sweetest thing on four legs when she wants to be, but she'd rather keep everyone on their toes. Paris attacks my 70lb hunting dog for no reason, and makes him cry. If she feels he doesn't deserve his food/water, she'll sit by it guard it until he comes whining to me. If she catches him sleeping the wrong way, she'll bite his ear. You get the point.

Cairo and Paris are 10 days apart from eachother, and they came to live with us 10 days apart even though we picked them both out at the same time. Paris was such a bully to Cairo when we brought Cairo home. It took 2 weeks for them to become best friends, and even now Paris has to remind Cairo that she owns the place.

Well I rescued 3 kittens (1 has been adopted out, and one with a home next week, so now I have 2) and kept them locked away from my cats until the results from their blood test came back on Monday. Then the fun began. Paris rushed to them while Cairo kept a distance. The kittens were wary of Paris but they went up to sniff her and she hissed, tapped the tallest one on the head a couple of times and stayed there to see if they would come back. The kittens came back within a minute. No hissing this time, Paris just whacked them each on the head (no claws). Within 5 hours Paris was playing with them like they were all siblings. Sometimes Paris scares me when she bites their necks, but she seems to only be playing because the kittens are not scared of her. She even taught them how to climb under the blankets while I'm taking a nap and torment my toes, something she hasn't done in several months.

Cairo on the other hand, who is the sweetest thing and greets everyone with a lick hates the kittens. She will sit in her spot and hiss and growl at them if they try to come near. It's been 2 days and that's all she does when she sees them. They've figured out that she's all bark and no bite, so they play around her even while she makes these vicious noises. She has never struck out at any of them though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow is paris a big cat? she sounds like a bit more excessive version of my calico!

The wierd thing is my calico is so sweet to the chickens and the ducks she will play with them and run around with them but when it comes to him she turns into a witch
He does not seem scared of her though he just acts like she doesnt exist and stays out of her way but when shes not home he will go up and sit in places she would NEVER ALLow like my bed (she thinks its hers)

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Paris is still a teenager at 1 year and a half. She is not very large at all. Kind of petite, but with a huge attitude. Paris is the same way about our bed. It took a few months for her to allow Cairo to sleep on it. Paris sleeps on a sleep-memory pillow (that she has ninja'd from me and will not give it back) right above my pillow on the bed. If the pillow isn't there, she will throw a massive fit.

If I'm eating anything, she will come and try to eat out of my hand or plate. If I try to shoo her away she paws my hand and squints her eyes at me.
It always makes me laugh.

This is her pillow ($50):

This is Paris letting Cairo sleep with her:

Be careful! She's watching you!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love that letting her sleep picture.
Mine are sweet too and they get along great but somtimes they have their little acrobatic session with the swating and the running and the jumping. They are still friends in the end though.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PJ is a tortie/white with not a ton of tortitude. She talks constantly, though, which I think is her attitude manifestation. Otherwise, she is the sweetest thing.

We got her when we had our first cat, Sassy - a very very dilute tortie. Sassy beat PJ up and antagonized her to no end. PJ never said a word to Sassy - no hissing, meowing, no batting, nothing. I guess Sassy lived up to her name.

The, PJ was resident cat and we got Teddy. PJ was ~11, Teddy was ~8. PJ hissed and growled at him like crazy. Once, she bopped him on the head! But 2 years later, they tolerate each other. She only hisses when he really bothers her. They're not friends - no grooming, no sitting next to or on each other, but they can peacefully coexist now.

Because PJ showed no aggression/aversion towards Sassy, we got Teddy. She never went after him - he always has to come after her first before she'll make some noise.

Ah, torties.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mamacat

I had no idea calicos had such a reputation! My Nedicks girl is sweet as pie!
Neither did I! In fact, I have always heard calicos are particularly affectionate.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Neither did I! In fact, I have always heard calicos are particularly affectionate.
that's certainly true of Java - she puts her head up for kisses everytime i come home...& i call her my '****', 'cause she's never met a stranger. if a new person comes thru the door, she meows her pitiful baby meow until they pet her!
she's not a 'lap cat' tho - that's Chip!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sibohan, My Calico is a princess and does the whole hissing thing too. She knocks Duke around on occasion, and I don't blame her he's twice her size and He likes to jump on her head.
But then again Duke is a special kind of stupid to continue jumping on her head.
Ah yeah, that sounds familiar. Jingles was the same way with Patches and Princess. I miss that boy. The girls hated him, but he was a laugh riot.