For those far away from 'home'

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved here when I was 12. My mother met and married my stepfather very quicky, at a very tender age for me. I was extreemly depressed by the whole situation. I was happy in NY and counted the days till I could just visit again. It's now 12 years later and I still miss my family a lot. I'd say it took a good 2 years to be ok with living here. But I still wanted to go back. The funny thing about it is, I got accepted to college in NY and then ended up staying here for college. And DH was/is willing to move there, but I'm not now. Mainly for the economy but also for the weather. And I just don't want to live away from my Mom. Especially if we're going to start a family. (In a few years.)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

To be honest, it's hard to get homesick when you no longer know where "home" is. Is my home Philly, where I was born and raised, and still have family and friends? Germany, where I've spent over half my life with my German husband, and have had most of my career? Omaha, where what remains of my immediate family now lives, and which I therefore visit every year, although I never lived there?...
Also hard to answer the question, "Where are you from?"

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I'm concerned, my family "home" is here. My family moved here after moving me from my birth place of NYC( I still have a soft spot in my heart for NYC though) then my mom and step dad divorced and he left, went back to NY, then she went to Texas and my sister went to Ohio. So I stayed here and they left. No I'm not homesick, I'm family missing, because I am home.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been away from home for almost 3 year now and YES I'm still very very homesick. My family is just shy of 2000 miles away.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved away for good about 4 years ago I think. I am 7 hours from all my close friends and my mom. It sucks, I will most likely move back someday.

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost four years ago, I moved here from 600 miles away from everything I'd ever known (as an adult). I have yet to feel homesick; too many horrible things happened there for me ever to have any regrets about leaving. But I do wish I could have some closer contacts here.