For the love of pickles....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I love every single kind of pickle I have ever eaten! Even before getting pregnant!!

The best were home made ones my Grandmother's neighbor made before she passed. They cucumbers were homegrown too. She'd can tons of them and give Gram quite a few jars. We called them "Mrs. Peter's Pickles." God bless her soul I still to this day do not know her name. She passed about 5 years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

What is the difference between a sour pickle and a dill pickle?
The sour pickles are much more sour than the ordinary dill (which I also like, just not as much). They are labeled as sour on the jar.

And to the pregnant folks, sorry!
It was thoughtless of me to bring up something so insensitive...at least, if you don't have a stash of pickles right there in your house!

BTW, the pickle survived the night. I was planning on eating it while I watched Chef Ramsey's show, because that makes me hungry, but then I decided to save it for later!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pickles too, especially the dill ones. Have any of you tried deep fried dill pickles?? Oh my God, they are so good!! But they are fried, so I am sure they are not that good for you, but who cares, you don't make a meal out of them.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

I love pickles too, especially the dill ones. Have any of you tried deep fried dill pickles?? Oh my God, they are so good!! But they are fried, so I am sure they are not that good for you, but who cares, you don't make a meal out of them.
I love fried pickles, too! And I finally ate the sour pickle; it was delicious!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

mmmmm sour pickles

I love pickles. Sour, sweet, dill, you name it.
Me, too! I couldn't think of anything I wanted for breakfast this morning, so I had what I called a "pickle sandwich" when I was little. I put dill pickle slices between two saltine crackers and there was my instant breakfast.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Me, too! I couldn't think of anything I wanted for breakfast this morning, so I had what I called a "pickle sandwich" when I was little. I put dill pickle slices between two saltine crackers and there was my instant breakfast.
That sounds awesome. I'll have to try that. I have a little pickle recipe you might like. Put some cream cheese on a pickle and wrap it in a thin slice of honey roasted turkey. It's delicious.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

That sounds awesome. I'll have to try that. I have a little pickle recipe you might like. Put some cream cheese on a pickle and wrap it in a thin slice of honey roasted turkey. It's delicious.
thats sounds delish. you also should try pumpernickle bread spread with cream cheese then layer pickles, jalepenos, cucumbers and pepperoni. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading this thread a few nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night craving pickles. The only thing we have are bread and butter pickles (love them too) but I couldn't get the stupid lid off! I tried hot water, hitting it with a knife (woke the dogs up and they started barking, so I stopped) but NOTHING!! I almost cried! I ended up eating peanut butter bread...just not the same.

SO, MAJOR market run tomorrow, and guess what is first on my list...yep, You guessed it!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

BTW, the pickle survived the night. I was planning on eating it while I watched Chef Ramsey's show, because that makes me hungry, but then I decided to save it for later!
Sorry for the hijack, but do you mean Hell's Kitchen?? I LOVE that show!! I am addicted. I started watching 2 seasons ago, and watched all the previous seasons on You Tube. I agree, I'm always starving after watching that show. You know he's coming out with a "cook with him" show in Dec? The list of ingredients is posted on his website a week or so before so you can cook along with him during the show. I can't WAIT!! (Plus...I just think he's hot!)

Ok, hijack over...back to originially scheduled programming.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I love Claussen dills too! They are absolutely the best. I miss the baby dills they used to sell. Great with good cheddar cheese.
Ooo! I love cutting garlic dills into spears and and having them with Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar! Yum! Yum! Yum!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Sorry for the hijack, but do you mean Hell's Kitchen?? I LOVE that show!! I am addicted. I started watching 2 seasons ago, and watched all the previous seasons on You Tube. I agree, I'm always starving after watching that show. You know he's coming out with a "cook with him" show in Dec? The list of ingredients is posted on his website a week or so before so you can cook along with him during the show. I can't WAIT!! (Plus...I just think he's hot!)

Ok, hijack over...back to originially scheduled programming.
Yes, I am a big fan of Hell's Kitchen! I didn't know he had a new show coming out; I'll have to watch. I love anything with him in it.

All these pickle recipes sound wonderful! I am going to have to try some of them. At this very moment, I am boiling eggs for tuna salad (mine consists of pickles, eggs, mayo and Chicken of the Sea tuna...sometimes onions, but not tonight).

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How to open a pickle jar. Hold it upside down and bang on the bottom of the jar with your fist. It will break the vacumm and open easy. I have been doing this for years on all sorts of jars. Works prety good most of time.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

How to open a pickle jar. Hold it upside down and bang on the bottom of the jar with your fist. It will break the vacumm and open easy. I have been doing this for years on all sorts of jars. Works prety good most of time.
Ok, I just had a mental picture of me doing this. Holding the jar upside down, bang on the bottom, jar slips out of my hand and hits the floor shattering into a million pieces and now I have glass, pickles and pickle juice all over the floor....but the jar is indeed open!
(sorry, just in a strange mood today. But that would just be my luck!)

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I love Claussen dills too! They are absolutely the best. I miss the baby dills they used to sell. Great with good cheddar cheese.
I love the Claussen baby dills myself. They still sell them here in the south. The pickalos (fried pickles) just scare me.
They are actually a big seller at the fast food places here. Gosh, I hate to admit this but pickle juice and vodka was big when I was in college (which was in Arizona). It is actually really good if you love pickles!