For the Gemstone "Lovers"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Someone mentioned a tanzanite as an engagement ring. One word of caution about that- Tanzies are softer stones so I don't know how well it would hold up. A nice sapphire would be a better choice for blue color and durability.

Tanzanites are beautiful gems and one of my favs, but are only a 6 1/2 on the hardness scale. I wouldn't recommend having one for wearing every day. I had a really beautiful tanzanite ring once which cost me a pretty penny, and one day I noticed the stone was missing. I have no idea how it got broken, but I was really heartsick over it.
The tanzanites that I have now I only wear on special occasions, b/c I don't want to risk having them get damaged again. I have a "fake" tanzanite ring that I wear for every day use.

If you like the tanzanite look/color, I would recommend either a sapphire or an iolite, which is somewhat similar in color to a tanzanite.
If you really want a tanzanite, I would suggest you only wear it when you're sure there's no risk of damaging it, and maybe getting a fake tanzanite like I did for every day use. Tanzanites are what they refer to as a "once in a lifetime" gem, and will be worth a small fortune in years to come. Mine will be going to my granddaughter (along with my other jewelry) so she'll have something of value when she's all grown up.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for round because I think it's pretty good for making a diamond "sparkle". But I also really like a heart cut... just for whimsy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The center stone of my engagement ring is a heart and I love it. I voted for cushion cut but I'm not sure really which is my favorite. I guess it's one of the only ones I like that I don't have in anything yet, so it stands out more.