For People That Use Bone Meal, How Much Do You Use?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I currently have this brand.

I mostly use bones from chicken thighs grinded up, but as I experiment more with my cat's chunks diet, I realize I can't always have enough bone, so I'm wondering how much bone meal to substitute with.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use the same brand and follow Dr. Pierson’s boneless recipe. Are you saying that you’re thinking of using both ground bone and bone meal in the same batch? The calculations of doing that and getting the right percentage of calcium and the right ratio of calcium to phosphorus would be completely beyond my capabilities!

You may already be familiar with this, but here’s information about adding calcium supplements to a raw diet from feline-nutrition.org:
Calcium Supplements in Homemade Cat Food - Feline Nutrition Foundation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the same brand and follow Dr. Pierson’s boneless recipe. Are you saying that you’re thinking of using both ground bone and bone meal in the same batch? The calculations of doing that and getting the right percentage of calcium and the right ratio of calcium to phosphorus would be completely beyond my capabilities!

You may already be familiar with this, but here’s information about adding calcium supplements to a raw diet from feline-nutrition.org:
Calcium Supplements in Homemade Cat Food - Feline Nutrition Foundation
Saying that sometimes I won't have enough bone so I'll need to add some, so I was just wondering how much to add. Thanks!