For Married Couples....Seeing Parents

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We drive to see his parents about every 3 months or so (just whenever we both have a chance to get a few days off work) as they live out of state from us. We see my mom maybe once or twice a week- sometimes less than that just depending on our schedules.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like I need to move further away from them.

I just don't get why MIL carrys on so much. She was never close to him while he lived there. I guess it's b/c she doesn't have a social life. Now my FIL has a very active social life which is why we don't see him that often.

I wish MIL would get over her jealousy cause we could have BBQ's here with both Mom's.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John and I live with his parents and grandparents. I don't have a good relationship with my family, so we don't visit them at all. Makes things simple for us!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed with parents (my mom specifically) that after you move out, they cause problems.I know that sounds mean, but they try to control your every move!
Just read this, and I completely agree. My mother calls me or sends me a text message every hour and thinks I need to tell her every single thing that I do every moment of every day. I no longer answer her calls.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Up until last Friday my Mom and I worked for the same company, so I saw her a lot. I'm sure we'll still see eachother several times a week. We only live about 4-5 miles apart.

DH's parent's live about 9hrs away. We see them about once a year, maybe twice. Occasionally his Dad will spend an overnight at our house on his way to visit his NY girlfriend
so him maybe once or twice more than his Mom and Step-Dad. They would love to have us nearby, but I'm just firm in saying we are staying where we are. I love them, but I am VERY close to my Mother. Plus his mother has his 2 sisters and their kids. I have step-siblings, but I am my mother's only child and the step-siblings aren't close to her. Plus my Dad and the rest of my family live 6-7 hours in the other direction from his parents. My family is good about seeing us when we can get there and not complaining when we can't. I appreciate that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, i know i'm not married, but i voted for my married siblings
my sister & her husband see my parents usually at least once a week, altho not on a regular basis - might be 2-3 times one week, not at all the next. they see his mom, who also lives locally, quite often, as well. his dad lives in California, so they only see him on holidays/vacations. [he rarely comes here to visit]. my brothers - i don't know about my youngest brother's wife's family - i think they see them occasionally, definitely on holidays. they visit my parents every few months, i think. my older brother, a bit more often for my parents. her dad lives in Canada, so, again, they visit them only on holidays/vacations.

i, personally, see my parents at least once a week - we attend church together & eat lunch. sometimes more often, depending. i call several times a week, usually, as well.