For All Us Redheads!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Or even worse with questions about your carpet and curtains.
Someone once told me (I don't remember where) of a very blunt Aunt asking a family member's date a very intimate question at the dinner table.....one which I have since been asked myself!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh yes, some young men (and older!) think it is perfectly acceptable to ask a woman with red hair if its ALL natural red everyhere. Sheesh. Never understood why anyone would ever ask that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I had a dollar for everytime I was asked that, I'd be rich!

Or ya get "Is it true what they say about redheads?" and they just look at you waiting for you to answer......I think.. "um...... what? what do they say?"

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Redheads also need more anethesia to knock you out. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/487261
I'm not a natural red-head, but when I was receiving a localized anesthesia after I ripped most of my toe-nail out, the dr. had to dose me for like 3x my size. He then told me he was sorry, I couldn't have more & that he was gonna hafta just start "fixing" it. I could feel everything he was doing, it only felt a little more numb than it normally would've.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Red head here. I do have a high tolerance for pain. Had an ectopic pregnancy once and while most women would be wheeled into an emergency room right about the time their tube burst, I was taking care of my father who just had surgery. I made it to surgery 6 weeks later, not because of the pain, but because of the massive bleeding.

I've also found out recently that we have a higher tolerance to pain medications than other people. Every time I have dental work, it takes an incredible amount of medicine to numb my mouth. At the last visit, the tech told me about a new study where they found redheads have higher tolerance levels.

When I had the ectopic pregnancy years ago, I was finally admitted to a hospital for surgery. A nurse gave me a pre-surgery prep shot, then put me on a gurney and told me to stay there until they wheeled me in to the operating room. About 30 minutes later, I had to visit the facilities, so I hopped off the gurney and went to the bathroom. On the way out, a nurse walks in, looks at me and freaks out. She asks if they had given me my shot yet. I say yes, about 30 minutes ago. She runs up to me, grabs my arm and practically carries me back to the gurney where she put me back on it, strapped me in and put up the rails. I asked her why she did that and she told me I should be nearly passed out from the shot. I couldn't even feel it's effects. When they gave me the gas to put me under, they asked me to count down from 100. I made it to 92 - they told me most people don't make it past 99. They told me I woke up in surgery which I don't remember, then I woke up as they were wheeling me out of the operating room.

So while we might have a high threshold for pain, we also have a high tolerance for pain medicine. If you're really ill, it's not a good thing. People told me after the ectopic that I could have easily died. But I bit my lip and dealt with it cause I could.
I'm a redhead, too, and have been told I have a high tolerance for pain. When my lip was torn off by a dog (and he bit throught my nose in 6 places), they gave my face a shot of novacaine, and then reconstructed my lip. It didn't hurt. However, the novacaine for my nose sutures didn't work; I felt, saw and heard every $##$%$ stitch, but didn't say anything. I remember thinking, "I can take about 10 more minutes of this, and then things are gonna get unpleasant..." Also, they gave me some strong prescription pain-killers to use when I got home; I felt I didn't need them; and when the nurse called to make sure I had taken them, he told me I was "nuts"! He didn't believe I didn't need them!

The funny thing is, my skin is very sensitive; but yet pain doesn't really bother me.

MargeCat

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I never really thought about this. I went to work after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was when my dentist called the house and FREAKED when my parents told him I went to work!

I also had a surgery a few years ago - they broke my pelvis to reposition my hip socket. It actually didn't really hurt very much - they do it "surgically" so there's no swelling etc. It's not like getting into an accident where you have trauma...but my doc just couldn't believe it didn't hurt very much. I just thought all his other patients were a lot more sensitive to pain than I was...

Originally Posted by MargeCat

I'm a redhead, too, and have been told I have a high tolerance for pain. When my lip was torn off by a dog (and he bit throught my nose in 6 places), they gave my face a shot of novacaine, and then reconstructed my lip. It didn't hurt. However, the novacaine for my nose sutures didn't work; I felt, saw and heard every $##$%$ stitch, but didn't say anything. I remember thinking, "I can take about 10 more minutes of this, and then things are gonna get unpleasant..." Also, they gave me some strong prescription pain-killers to use when I got home; I felt I didn't need them; and when the nurse called to make sure I had taken them, he told me I was "nuts"! He didn't believe I didn't need them!

The funny thing is, my skin is very sensitive; but yet pain doesn't really bother me.

MargeCat

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Oh yes, some young men (and older!) think it is perfectly acceptable to ask a woman with red hair if its ALL natural red everyhere. Sheesh. Never understood why anyone would ever ask that.
Never understood that one either.
Don't people realize that not everyone's body hair matches what's on their head?
Case in point, how many natural blondes do you know with brown eyebrows?
I know a lot.
Most natural (bright red) redheads have blonde eyesbrows.
Not all the hair matches on everyone.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

That's when I just pat them on their heads and say "You're cute" and walk away.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether it's true or not, but it seems that redheads bleed easier during surgery. I Googled it once and they say it's a myth. However, it seems to hold true in practice!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wow. I never really thought about this. I went to work after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was when my dentist called the house and FREAKED when my parents told him I went to work!
Hmmm, I never take the pain meds the dentist gives me, never even get the prescription filled. I 've found I will only take one, if that. I also go to work after the dentist while my co-workers will take the day off. This happens at different jobs so I finally figured out I was the odd one and not them. I find it is only painful for a few hours and then just a tad uncomfortable. It is usually better by the next day. The sore muscles from having my jaw propped open for an hour+ is worse and lasts longer.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I don't know whether it's true or not, but it seems that redheads bleed easier during surgery. I Googled it once and they say it's a myth. However, it seems to hold true in practice!
I have yet to have a surgery so cannot attest to this one, whew! Interesting though.