For all that is holy and sane!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I work you can't go over 32 hrs in a 6 month period or you get put on a step. I was sick last week and had to take 2 days off. I am just under 32 hrs now. I can't be sick for at least 4 months. It used to be that every Jan 1, you had 40 hrs or 5 days for the year. And I work in an office with a couple of hundred people. At least no one uses my desk when I am gone.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That stinks! I was a waitress a few years back, and got MONO, I called in because I had been in the ER, and had a dr's note, and I called in and everything, then went to work my shift a couple days later and they FIRED me!! The last time I went in there I left the DR's note as a tip! Screw em!! They weren't paying me enough to be there in the first place! 3.15 per hour for daunting work with drunk people, I THINK NOT!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where I work we can have two years worth of sick time on the books which is 96 hours and we get two weeks of vacation and this year 56 hours of personal time and floating holiday. We also have company paid temporary disability for serious illness or surgery. We still have people who always come in sick and wear it like some kind of badge of honor. They will always have some kind of self-serving comment when someone does call in sick. Of course maybe if they didn't come in sick maybe one of those people who calls in wouldn't be sick.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Check your laws and if that happens ever again, don't show up. That happened to me once, had a summer job and was legitimately sick and needed to go to the doctor that day. The store manager BEGGED me to come in because too many people were calling in sick (and really weren't). So with a 100* fever, green goo, and coughing and sneezing I went in.

ALL the customers were wondering why I was there. I told them to go talk to management about that. When I saw my doctor she told me they weren't suppose to do that and its illegal to make someone come in when they call in sick.
Wow I should do that, but KY's laws might be different than other states. Everyone I waited on in the check out lane pretty much asked the same thing as they were seeing me white as a sheet and nearly passing out. The managers did let me take several breaks, though, I'll give them that, but they should have just sent me home.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Been there! Done that! Child care was the worst! Sick kids = sick adults! They made people come in with pink eye, and you got written up if you didn't!

I could barely hold my head up during a food service job a few years ago, and called in ASAP to go lay down! The boss told me to put a towel under my head, lay on the floor, and eat a piece of dry toast and come in for my shift. Needless to say, I still didn't go in! He also told a girl with heat stroke to take a cold shower and come in...she didn't.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if there is green goo, it sounds bacterial so isn't going to be contagious. The poor guy needs to be home in bed recovering, though. It has to feel awful.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EWWWW. I keep a large container of hand sanitizer and a big can a lysol on my desk all year because I don't want to be near all the ppl that come in to work sick. Then what happens? My hubby (who is a welding instructor) brings something home and I get sick anyway. Luckily I have paid sick days and a very understanding boss. I am prone to ear infections that make me so dizzy that I cannot stand up and my work is dangerous enough that they don't want me there in that condition.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

I worked at mcdonalds one time a few years ago. We had a week of everyone getting sick so the management would force you to come to work or you got fired. Me and a friend was working counter and she was so sick she couldnt even stand up straight. She finally passed out in the floor, the manager stepped over her and closed her register and left her laying. I called her brother to come take her to the hospital and they fired her the next day for leaving work without permision. I was sick the next morning and tried to call in, told them i was vomiting and could not make it, the manager offered to send someone to pick me up and i refused, she said that either i show up or i was going to be fired, so i quit right then and there.
I used to work at Burger King and when I got really sick once, the managers were nice enough to give me the day off because they knew I didn't have medical insurance then and if it got worse, I was in big trouble. I will admit, I depended on my work hours to eat and pay the rent so if I ever had something as simple as a cold, I still came in but I washed my hands more often and used hand sanitizer by the packs! The dirtiest thing in the world is paper money so I always had a bottle next to the cash register.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL who is a phlebotomist in a hospital HAS to go in when she's sick. Or else she has to stay home for two weeks. Something to do with 'short term disability'...eek

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it totally sucks, but there are some places like RETAIL that if you have to many days you have called in, they get PISSED if you call in again. So if your sick, your expected to be in regardless. This is Wal-Mart im talkin about.

The same company that states in their rules that if you get in a car accident on the way to work, that does NOT count as a reason for being late/callin in!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

The same company that states in their rules that if you get in a car accident on the way to work, that does NOT count as a reason for being late/callin in!
If my memory is correct, having a car accident on the way to or from work in NJ can be considered worker's comp! You are covered by their insurance providing you do not stop anywhere in between home and the office. But my classes on casualty insurance was a while ago so this ruling may have changed.

In my office, we get 8 paid sick days, but once you take 5, you are put on oral notice.