For all i care he can starve to death!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so today it has been a total of 9oz of wet food since 5am this morning.. oh god i hope he sticks to this, and stops giving me a heart attack... im sure next week he will turn his nose up at the ff but for now 9oz is pretty good i think...

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird, I read this a day after Buddy started eating. He ate two whole dishes of food since last night. I think our cats have some psychic connection to either other! 

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your right must be a "BOY" thing lol i have always had females and never had a picky eating issue with them. and they say girls are stubborn.. i put 3oz of wet this morning and he ae most of it, then i put down another 3oz at 8:30am like i have been doing bu he licked and walked away :(, so i picked it up andput it in the fridge and will put it back out when i go to work in 20 minutes, he just ate some dry food so i know he is hungry, but we will see.. keep me updated on buddy..

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
annnnnndd were back to hardly eating wet again
, i put his wet down before work yesterday and he hardly touched it. hubby put some down when he got home from work and he ate some of it. put down his night feeding and he ate that, but put down his wet this morning agin and he only licked it (SIGH) oh wha o do about this picky cat, I have no idea...

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just wont eat wet at all, Smooch doesnt,  get that its fustrating for you because he wont but just keep on leaving the dry out for him

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find a lot of cats don't like the same brand/flavour of wet food for 2 meals in a row. They get bored of it quicker than kibble because it doesn't have flavour enhancers sprayed all over it. I regularly rotate through at least a couple dozen different canned and raw foods with my cats to keep them interested. Not sure if that's something that would work with your guy or not. (Oh, and it's perfectly fine to leave canned food out for many hours - unless you have a pest problem or it's extremely hot).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So that you're not wasting food, try putting just 1/4 of a can on his plate. And that's it. Put the rest of the can, well-wrapped in the fridge. When you take it out of the fridge, use another 1/4 can and microwave that for about 5 seconds or so, just to take the chill off as most cats prefer their food at room temp or just a teensy bit warm. And have you tried microwaving his food....just to warm it a bit and perhaps bring out the smell of the food a little better? Maybe you could add a bit of pureed baby food (meat only) to his food....heated.....and watch how he eats; if he laps at the food, but doesn't bite down, it could be a dental thing. I wouldn't leave canned food out all night long, but would leave some dry kibble out, esp since you don't have other cats. Offer him that 1/4 of a can only twice a day....no more than that. The rest of the time, he may try his dry kibble.

And as Tricia said, it could easily be a tooth problem. If it's painful he won't eat....it hurts too much. Does he act like he wants to eat?

You should be able to tell if he's losing weight, just by looking at him and picking him up, rubbing your hands down along his flanks, along his back, etc.

When Mollipop was a kitten, she was the snoopiest cat we've ever had. We started her on Blue Buffalo kitten and she ate it for about 4-5 days. Then nothing. We switched her over to Taste of the Wild and she ate that for about 4-5 days. Then I put her on Fancy Feast kitten and she ate that for 4-5 days. I was really getting frustrated and I took her to the vet. The first thing he did was check her mouth, but everything was fine. He weighed her and she was at a really good weight, so he told me to let it go. Put her on one kind of food, but different varieties, and then simply let it go.

My cats eat what a lot of people consider a crappy food....Friskies Buffet. But they won't eat anything else, and believe me, I've tried them all.  No food is good for a cat when the cat won't eat it.....simple as that. When we switched Mollipop over to just Friskies Buffet, which is what the other cats eat, she scarfed it down. (She actually likes her canned food to be "decorated" with a sprinkling of dry Purina Indoor cat kibble. And if I forget the "decoration", she'll sit there and look at me, which reminds me that her plate isn't the way she wants it.) Our Bridge Baby, Hydrox, lived to be 20+ years old on Friskies. Whisper and Bootser are almost 18 years old and Ms. Pepe and Boo are both almost 16 years old. They were all raised on what a lot of people think is disgusting food. But it is what it is. I am not going to obsess that my cats are not eating what other people think they should.

It is possible for a young kitten to be at the end of a growth spurt and so just not very hungry. But in all honestly, it's unlikely. I'm sorry to say that, but young cats, esp males, are hungry cats, for the most part. And being upset and frustrated will only hurt your efforts in the long run.

I know you don't have the money for a vet right now. But yes, it is important that Cynder be seen, if for no other reason than to ensure that he's OK and that his toofers are OK.

And please don't think that anybody here hates or is angry with you. Nothing could be further from the truth. Honest. We're concerned. We're right there with you and worried about your little boy.

I wish you and Cynder the best.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW - seriously, 9 oz. of food that Cynder ate three days ago was A LOT of food :shocked:. My cat's don't eat anywhere near that amount of wet food per cat. I would go broke :lol3: If Cynder eats 4 to 5 ounces of wet food a day and 1/8 - 1/4 cup of dry food too - that is a good amount :nod: I think you are doing fine and might just be expecting him to eat way more than is necessary. :vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW - seriously, 9 oz. of food that Cynder ate three days ago was A LOT of food :shocked:. My cat's don't eat anywhere near that amount of wet food per cat. I would go broke :lol3: If Cynder eats 4 to 5 ounces of wet food a day and 1/8 - 1/4 cup of dry food too - that is a good amount :nod: I think you are doing fine and might just be expecting him to eat way more than is necessary. :vibes::vibes:
Agreed. Most cats only need 5-6 oz of wet per day. NOT inclusive of dry though. So if he's nibbling on dry and eating 3-4 oz of wet, that's plenty honestly. I think your expectation of how much he should eat and how much he needs are different.

Last edited:

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love you guys!!! you are so caring and have been so helpful. he has slowed his eating, he eats bout 6oz of wet a day and nibbles on the dry.. all i care about is that he is eating which he is.. so like all of you have sugested i am going to chill and be happy that he is eating.. end of story :)

zeety

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but everytime I see the title of this thread it makes me laugh. I hope your baby finds a food he can live with

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but everytime I see the title of this thread it makes me laugh. I hope your baby finds a food he can live with

lol me too.. he drives me nuts.................................

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
]
I love you guys!!! you are so caring and have been so helpful. he has slowed his eating, he eats bout 6oz of wet a day and nibbles on the dry.. all i care about is that he is eating which he is.. so like all of you have sugested i am going to chill and be happy that he is eating.. end of story :)
All I can say is YAY :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm. My vet in the past has said that if a cat hasn't eaten for more than 24 hours it is an emergency. This is because of the chance of fatty liver disease. It is an even greater risk in larger cats. Anyways in my experience my cats vary in the amounts they eat. Even when my boy cat was a kitten and growing he varied in the amount he ate. Even now, I put food down twice a day. Sometimes it is all gone and sometimes alot is left. My 15 pound boy only eats alittle over 1/4 cup dry and 3 oz of wet today. My 11pound female eats a little less than that. It doesn't seem like a lot, but they maintain their weights and are healthy. As long as he is eating something everyday, I would think that you shouldn't have to worry too much. I would try to get his mouth checked or see if you can check it yourself to make sure their isn't anything in there bothering him. It could also be a phase. My boy cat refuses pate canned food even though my female likes it. I will sometimes put it down, but sure enough, he won't touch it. Cats are weird that way.

leaveittoweaver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd also recommend trying something like Raw Goat's milk on top of his food to entice him to eat and put on some weight on him. 

maxkitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One important thing, you can never and should never starve a cat into eating. Others have mentioned it but Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver disease) can occur with just 1-2 days of food scarcity. I'm no vet, but I've done my homework on this. 

I recommend finding something your cat wants to eat post-haste. Get rid of that dry stuff and drop some raw meat in there. Try some small (but not too small) slices of boneless pork or chicken (the trick is to get him to use his jaw muscles to chew). My cat is 5 months old and didn't really want to eat canned food at all (he picked at it) but when I switched him to raw he went nuts! 

Try it. You have nothing to lose and tons to gain. Raw is a cat's natural diet anyway with respect to biology and evolution and your cat will get much more water it needs too (preventing UT blockages later on commonly associated with dry-food diets).

There are commercial raw foods you can buy such as Primal and it's very convenient, and this provides complete nutrition (meat, organ and bone), but raw meat is psychologically more appealing to cats than a lump of raw-food formula, at least from my observation. I always feed my cat Primal meat bricks and raw meat, and he *always* eats the raw meat first, but he eventually finishes the Primal as the hours tick by till I refresh his bowl.

Throw some fresh meat in and stand back. You might just awaken your cat's inner carnivore! :)

Last edited: