Food

Diagnous

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is a good healthy cat food to buy at the store? It is so overwhelming when I go look for food. So much of it. Is there one brand that does everything like keep her hydrated as well. Thank you and she is five years old.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What is a good healthy cat food to buy at the store? It is so overwhelming when I go look for food. So much of it. Is there one brand that does everything like keep her hydrated as well. Thank you and she is five years old.
Wet food is best to keep your cat hydrated and all cats have different taste buds. Best is to buy the food your cat likes to eat. Not all expensive food will get the cat to eat and not all cheap food are no good.

If your cat is not rejecting the current food, I suggest that you don't make any changes and if you want to give variety, introduce the food slowly but safer to stick to what she's eating now.

Healthy food are those that are low in carbs and high in proteins.

We have many good articles here on choosing the right food for your cat :- Cat Food & Feeding Archives - TheCatSite. Have a browse through and get some idea.

Last edited:

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’re going to get 100 different responses on what people think is healthy. In the end, your cat is going to decide what it wants to eat.

I feed mine a rotation of friskies shreds, tractor supply pate, purina pro plan essentials and applaws.

Dairymilk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As others said there will be many replies to this, and some people may recommend a wet-only diet. That's my personal preference also, but some cats don't like wet food! And sometimes it's hard to afford good cat food.

As your cat is older it may not like some foods and may have set preferences already so you will just have to see.

best bet is probably wet food (for hydration and low carb), and keep in mind that the more protein there is the better for your cat. they also shouldn't be eating grains or vegetables--grain free recipes probably best.

just think how in nature they only really eat meat and whatever that meat had for lunch:)