Food

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. What does everyone feed their kittens and or cats. Going through the rabbit hole of cat foods is making me crazy. I know I can’t do homemade or raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
United States

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my cats eats raw and the other eats Sheba Trout (wet). He's extremely picky and currently this is the only thing he will touch, although reluctantly.

They have no idea what kibble is because I wanted to have it on hand for emergencies so tried to give it to them once and they wouldn't touch it :lol:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeding a cat, especially one who is picky, is most certainly like going down a rabbit hole. And no one will be able to truly tell you what works for your cat. It really is pretty much trial and error.

My cat likes pate canned food, and hates most fish, so that is pretty much all I know. Fancy Feast Classics was one she liked for quite a while. I have also fed her Merrick Purrfect Bistro, Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, Purina Pro/One, Tiki Cat, Weruva, and then a large miscellaneous assortment of many other brands.

Here are some links you might like to look at. The first is a link to what a lot of the canned cat foods look like - maybe that would be a good place for you to start. From there you can do an internet search on the brand/type you find interesting in order to get more information about what is contained in them. The other links are listing 'best' cat foods that might also give you somewhere to start when selecting foods to try.
Canned Cat food Spreadsheets | Flickr
The 12 Best Canned Cat Foods of 2023 (bestforpets.org)
The 13 Best Wet, Soft And Canned Cat Foods Of 2022 - Cat Mania

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My angel Poppycat preferred Fancy Feast, but eventually I was able to convince him that these others were ok now and then.

I like Koha, Kasiks, Blue, Halo, Merrick, and Forza10. Others I like are Weruva which has a lot of varieties and styles, there's also Feline Natural, the Honest Kitchen, Mouser, Identity Bison, Instinct Original and Open Farm.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
All of those mentioned above are great options. How old is your cat? That can sometimes winnow the field. My old guy eats N&D pumpkin and quail, tho lately I’ve been sneaking in a can here and there of Fancy Feast extra gravy Turkey as the gravy seems to help things move along. I would suggest wet over dry, and catfood with fewer ingredients.