Food - wet, dry, best?

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dkperez

Went over to the pet food place and found EVO, Wellness, Chicken Soup, and several other brands..... So, of course, since I like a varied diet I figured the cats should have the same option.... Brought home about 10 different cans and started trying them..... Put down EVO chicken amid the loud cries of imminent starvation and watched both cats stare at the food, then turn to us and accuse my wife of trying to poison them!

So, I opened up a can of Wellness and put some of that out..... MUCH happiness ensued.... They fell on the Wellness chicken like, well, hungry cats on food! Tried the EVO again the next morning and they apparently just don't care for that.... So far the Chicken Soup has been a hit, the Wellness, and the Science Diet....

As far as the little princess and the soft paws - I've now clipped her nails twice, just to get her used to it, and she's really easy - just sits on my lap and lets me clip... Although, she ALSO gets her head in the way 'cause she figures she's going to miss something interesting....... I'm going to try the soft paws this week......

Yesterday, my wife went up to take a nap and when I walked into the bedroom both cats were on the bed, with Skye (3.5 pounds) curled up between Brownie's (11 pounds) feet..... So, they're clearly getting along fine...

ALSO, decided they might drink more if the water moved, so I bought them a fountain. Watching them was comical, but Brownie settled in quickly for a long drink. Skye too a while to figure it out 'cause she kept sticking her head in for a drink and got her ear in the fountain.... Then she stuck her paw in the water. Then she tried to figure out what the ice cubes were... So far, she seems to be having fun, but I haven't actually seen much water going into her!
What pet food store did you try? Depending on where in MN you are, I was going to suggest Chuck And Don's as a place to try in the Twin Cities. Great selection of cat food. I've been using Chicken Soup for my two guys for over a year (first the kitten variety, now the light adult) in both dry and wet forms and they have always loved it

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

BUT, I also read the information from Blaise, who challenged me by asking if I was willing to read "this".... The information was what I was looking for, although the response was posed in a rather challenging manner - have there been people that refused to read it, disagreed vehemently with it, or some other reason for the way you posed the link?.
I've not seen that particular link before but have a long Word document that was written by Lisa Pierson. I've sent that document to a lot of people on this site. I doubt that people have read it and unless you are serious about the topic, it is too long for many people.

Brought home about 10 different cans and started trying them..... Put down EVO chicken amid the loud cries of imminent starvation and watched both cats stare at the food, then turn to us and accuse my wife of trying to poison them!

So, I opened up a can of Wellness and put some of that out..... MUCH happiness ensued.... They fell on the Wellness chicken like, well, hungry cats on food! Tried the EVO again the next morning and they apparently just don't care for that.... So far the Chicken Soup has been a hit, the Wellness, and the Science Diet....
That is so typical of cats. Mine wouldn't touch the Evo, Felidae, Merrick, and others. They initially danced for the Wellness but now are starting to poo poo it. I have a spreadsheet of the wet that they eat and won't eat and carry it with me to the store. I have tried just about every flavor of every brand out there. What I've found is that they get tired of a brand/flavor after a while and I have to keep rotating in flavors to keep them interested.

Even though you've got your original question answered, I will answer from a personal perspective. I have a dry food addict who had to have all of his teeth extracted. The last thing you want to do is to change their diet over to wet at the same time they are having medical problems. Stumpy still sucks down dry, but I can only pill him thru crushing his pills in his wet food. I have a second cat with bladder inflamation who was recently switched over to wet. If your cat ever gets sick, you will be very glad that you have them on a steady wet diet.

It's interesting that so many health problems in cats can be helped or resolved by switching them to wet food. That speaks volumes in itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkperez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe it wsa Chuck and Don's...... They had a lot of different foods.......

And, just to PROVE we're both insane - we now have a WATER FOUNTAIN! Yes, to make sure there's "fresh, moving" water, we bought one... Brownie, the large one, immediately figured it out and slurped up lots of water.... Skye, the 6-month-old, who apparently is NOT the brightest branch on the feline evolutionary tree, keeps trying, but all she's managed so far is to stick her head in the stream of water, generally ear first!

But, they're happy, healthy, and they hang around with me in the office, so I certainly can't complain... The "cat mahal" (which started out as a SMALL, scratching post/platform and turned into an enclosed, weighted base with holes on either end for getting into and out, multiple CURVED platforms of a size to comfortably hold Brownie, a large tunnel at the top with a platform above it. All the lower verticals have been wrapped with sisal for good scratching, and the whole thing covered in a lovely blue, plush carpet... Good grief!) has been positioned in front of the office window and a good time is being had by all.