Food/Skin Allergy, Home Remedies?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

Welcome to the world of veterinary medicine. If you can do better, lets see it! I want some PROOF that intradermal tests work for food allergies, because I've been taught differently.

I was also on my way to class this morning, and just grabbed the first relevant abstract, it wasn't exactly a thorough perusal of every article ever written, but my perusal was based on what I've been taught. Here at the veterinary teaching hospital, the board certified dermatologist teaches that they're a waste of client money.
YES in about 3 out of 4 they would be... MY vet uses a practice that pre dates modern medicine
.. it works and also in humans... lol ... Human drs have nearly killed me 5 times in 30 yrs ... guess who figured out what was wrong and either managed it of fixed it ??? ...

I am glad a vet school is teaching but since it does help a moderate % it should not be discounted ... In my PERSONAL experience it worked 33% of the time and was accurate in that case ... In the other two cases it showed mild to MAJOR but still sent a signal

IN MOST cases read first but expeirence is the best card ...

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YES in about 3 out of 4 they would be... MY vet uses a practice that pre dates modern medicine
.. it works and also in humans... lol ... Human drs have nearly killed me 5 times in 30 yrs ... guess who figured out what was wrong and either managed it of fixed it ??? ...

I am glad a vet school is teaching but since it does help a moderate % it should not be discounted ... In my PERSONAL experience it worked 33% of the time and was accurate in that case ... In the other two cases it showed mild to MAJOR but still sent a signal

IN MOST cases read first but expeirence is the best card ...
If a vaccine worked 25% of the time, would you recommend it to the average cat owner?

33 % of the time... and in the OTHER TWO cases... so you are basing your experience off 3 cases, but laugh at a study of 13 cases? Your personal experience is hardly double blinded...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If a vaccine worked 25% of the time, would you recommend it to the average cat owner?
not likely as if a vaccine only worked 25% then it likely would cause an adverse reaction in 25% /// For the most part allergy tests are not done yearly or every three yrs.. But many use vaccine s with out KNOWING the risks and that is about 80% of pet owners ...

Also the allergy tests are NOT left in the body of the animal thus it is a apple to orange arguement

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

not likely as if a vaccine only worked 25% then it likely would cause an adverse reaction in 25% /// For the most part allergy tests are not done yearly or every three yrs.. But many use vaccine s with out KNOWING the risks and that is about 80% of pet owners ...

Also the allergy tests are NOT left in the body of the animal thus it is a apple to orange arguement
Allergy tests are injections, just the same as vaccinations... or at least the one my dog has had. He's had 2 intradermal tests in 2 years...

But you agree... that in general the average intelligent person would not recommend something that only worked 25% of the time, especially not when expecting to trust the results 100%?? Interpretation is everything...

Although, I must admit, diphenhydramine (benadryl) also works in only 25% of canines... and that is regularly recommended by many. I'm not sure if everyone realizes it only works 25% of the time though???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Allergy tests are injections, just the same as vaccinations... or at least the one my dog has had. He's had 2 intradermal tests in 2 years...

But you agree... that in general the average intelligent person would not recommend something that only worked 25% of the time, especially not when expecting to trust the results 100%?? Interpretation is everything...

Although, I must admit, diphenhydramine (benadryl) also works in only 25% of canines... and that is regularly recommended by many. I'm not sure if everyone realizes it only works 25% of the time though???
With allergies I think we can agree most people are frantic for a "Cure".... thus 25% is better than nothing.... he he on the Benadryl ...

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, a real debate... again... Is this going to be one of the threads like the Do you believe in declawing thread?? cause that got REAL annoying after a while... I hate all the numbers you post, and the fact that you're only a student leads me to think I shouldn't believe a word out of your mouth.... Anyone can get that stuff off the internet or off of books, we're looking for something that really helps, and has been proven by experience to actually work!

Hows everything you're doing working so far?? Things still going well??? I hope so!! Good luck and good To ya!!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To the O.P.: Good luck with your kitty. My cat Toby recently started showing allergy symptoms as well (just one more thing on top of everything else with him) and now I'm feeding the NB duck/green pea... I am also in the same boat with you on the vet bills deal... I make too little to afford allergy testing (whether it's viable or not), so I'm just eliminating things to see what works.

That said, if your cat will eat wet food, you might want to look into the EVO 95% meat cans... They have chicken/turkey, beef, duck, venison, and rabbit... So, if you know that your cat is not allergic to one of those, or hasn't been exposed to one, might be worth a shot... They're a very good product, only have that single protien source, and come in large cans, so somewhat less expensive to feed (And NO peas or grains).

My cats have tried all of them, cared for the chicken/turkey and beef the most (of course), which I can't feed toby now... I will be ordering the venison cans soon to go along with his NB duck/pea and the NB cans.

In a side note, if your cat has tested for mold allergy, is it a type of mold that is harmful to humans? Has your apartment been tested for mold or could you request it? Have YOU shown any reactions that could be due to mold (stuffy nose, constant headache, etc.)? Just wondering because mold can be a serious health risk for humans as well...

Hope this helps,
Art

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

and the fact that you're only a student leads me to think I shouldn't believe a word out of your mouth.... Anyone can get that stuff off the internet or off of books, we're looking for something that really helps, and has been proven by experience to actually work!
Yes, I know, I'm ONLY a student. Only 12 weeks and counting, will you care what I have to say when I have a job and some numbers behind my name?? Something tells me its doubtful... but 8 years of school AND access to veterinary journals, conference proceedings and textbooks should count for something as well. Yes, most people can go to pubmed and look up the research articles, but how many actually do? Everyone here is here for the easy way out... what does so and so think? I'm just adding another spectrum of information...

Yes, personal experience counts for a LOT, but "I saw such and such once" should NOT be considered better information than expert opinions from books and research articles. If I state something that is JUST my opinion, I'll say so, and you can take that statement as JUST another opinion.

I'm one of the few people here that backs up what I have to say with factual information. Is it annoying because you don't want to hear it, because you can't give me contradictory facts, or because you just don't like me??? Please answer, I'd love to know how I can be more helpful... or if I'm just a pain in the patookas, I'll take my "limited student experiences" elsewhere.