Food Recommendations For Pu Cat?

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some food recommendations for a cat who is prone to blockages?

A little over a year ago my 4 year old cat, Kai, had a bout of recurring blockages that resulted in PU surgery. For over a year following the surgery Kai's problems seemed to have been resolved (minus a couple UTI's) despite still being fed cheap dry food (Bad, I know, but dads gf used to insist we feed all of our cats Friskies.), but just a few days ago he blocked again. (3 weeks after switching to "Purrfect Bistro" - possible trigger?) I haven't had a chance to speak to my vet as he was in surgery when I dropped Kai off, but I'm thinking at this point I'm going to have to put him on a wet food diet.

That being said, what wet foods do you feed your PU cats? Any recommendations?Unfortunately, I am a unemployed college student so founds are somewhat limited and I'm not entirely sure I can afford to feed strictly wet food. Do you think I could get by feeding a high quality kibble along with the wet?

Thanks in advance.

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some food recommendations for a cat who is prone to blockages?

A little over a year ago my 4 year old cat, Kai, had a bout of recurring blockages that resulted in PU surgery. For over a year following the surgery Kai's problems seemed to have been resolved (minus a couple UTI's) despite still being fed cheap dry food (Bad, I know, but dads gf used to insist we feed all of our cats Friskies.), but just a few days ago he blocked again. (3 weeks after switching to "Purrfect Bistro" - possible trigger?) I haven't had a chance to speak to my vet as he was in surgery when I dropped Kai off, but I'm thinking at this point I'm going to have to put him on a wet food diet.

That being said, what wet foods do you feed your PU cats? Any recommendations?Unfortunately, I am a unemployed college student so founds are somewhat limited and I'm not entirely sure I can afford to feed strictly wet food. Do you think I could get by feeding a high quality kibble along with the wet?

Thanks in advance.
Fancy Feast Classic. The Classic only. It's a pate.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy has had his PU done and he's on rabbit and turkey with our other boy. It turned out making it myself was way cheaper than the quality cans I was feeding. They're over $2 per can 5.5 oz can. If I don't use those ingredients I can save a ton just making raw from chicken. But @orange&white knows how to get it even cheaper. Chicken for my boys for the month would be around $55.
Read over catinfo.org . Dr Pierson says even the lower quality cans are better for the boys than high quality kibble because of the hydration and keeping the urine dilute.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys!

I just got home from picking Kai up. I was going to buy some cans of wet while was there but the vet suggested I keep feeding him his regular food, as they're worried about stressing him too much if I make changes so soon after being released but sent me home with 2 small cans of Purina Veterinary Diets Essential Care, or "Kitty Crack" as they call it. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this recommendation. We ran out of food while Kai was at the vet and dads gf came home with a bag of Wiskas (not sure why, vet told us all to avoid Friskies and Wiskas)

My dad is leaving tomorrow to go on a trip and won't be home for a week so I'm hoping Kai doesn't have any issues while he's gone, as I don't drive. (I do have other family close by who does in case of emergency but would rather it not come to that)

I do have a couple sample bags of Royal Canin Mother and Babycat that I could give him instead of the Wiskas for the week dad is away. It says it's rehydratable so I don't know if that helps any. Would that be a better option until I can get into town and get canned? Or should I just feed Wiskas?

I'm so torn!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the Purrfect Bistro that he blocked on a dry food? Did it have a lot of fish in it?

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was the Purrfect Bistro that he blocked on a dry food? Did it have a lot of fish in it?
It was a dry food. I'm not sure what the ingredients were exactly - no fish that I recall but I don't remember what flavour it was exactly and I burnt the bag so I can't check. All I recall is that it was grain free.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is friskies wet food within your price range? I just did calculation that under 25 dollars a month is manageable ( 1.4 dollar a can, roughly 370 kcal). I'm in Canada. People in the states may spend less.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies canned food is only 50 cents at my Walmart in NY

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your cat drink enough water? Make sure you have multiple water bowls or fountains in your home.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i feed friskies dry, because my feral cat's diet consists largely of mice.
as a suppliment friskies is great because she likes it so much i use it as a training aid.
i had a problem with ants getting all over feral cat's food.
draco suggested putting the food bowl inside a larger dish full of water.
this worked great for keeping ants away, but does more.
i notice as she eats she will have a drink every so often.
i don't know if this works for all cats, but giving water right with food seems to increase
the amount she drinks.

xox-zip-xox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, been super busy these past few days so just seeing all these responses now! Thank you so much for all the input and advice! So far Kai seems to be doing awesome. I actually ended up having my dad pick up 3 of the 13oz cans of Friskies before leaving for his trip so that's what he's been eating so far, however keeping him out of the other cats dry food has proven to be impossible, which is another reasoning behind my question if combining wet and dry foods is really all that bad? I know he needs wet food to stay hydrated enough to prevent blockage, and I obviously have no problem with that, I'm just wondering if I need to be preventing him from getting any dry food entirely? Even after eating his canned food he will still eat dry food with the other cats.

Is friskies wet food within your price range? I just did calculation that under 25 dollars a month is manageable ( 1.4 dollar a can, roughly 370 kcal). I'm in Canada. People in the states may spend less.
Friskies canned food is only 50 cents at my Walmart in NY
I'm in Canada as well! The 13oz cans are around $1.44 here which ends up being about $23 a month I think? So that's a bit more manageable than the other brands I had been looking at. I had initially been avoiding Friskies because, as I've mentioned, my vet said it was one of the worst for crystal developing cats, but I assume that only applies to the dry food?

Does your cat drink enough water? Make sure you have multiple water bowls or fountains in your home.
We actually just bought a fountain about a month ago just to make sure he was being encouraged to drink, but he's still a bit afraid of it. We also have a 5 gallon pail that we water our Shepherds in, as well as a water dish in the bathroom he has access to and I've seen him drink from them, whether he drinks enough though is hard to say.

i feed friskies dry, because my feral cat's diet consists largely of mice.
as a suppliment friskies is great because she likes it so much i use it as a training aid.
i had a problem with ants getting all over feral cat's food.
draco suggested putting the food bowl inside a larger dish full of water.
this worked great for keeping ants away, but does more.
i notice as she eats she will have a drink every so often.
i don't know if this works for all cats, but giving water right with food seems to increase
the amount she drinks.
Oh, that's actually a really interesting tip! I've always given water along side food, but never heard of anything like you've suggested. That seems like it would actually be a really good business idea. I'm surprised there's no dishes similar to this on the market already.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in Canada as well! The 13oz cans are around $1.44 here which ends up being about $23 a month I think? .
Do you have Sobeys nearby? I'm not sure if it's a nation wide sale but it's 1 dollar per can here until September :)