Food & Poop

juju521

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Ryder has poop problems. At 3 months old, he got Giardia and had Giardia for about 3 months before it finally got resolved. His poop has never been the same (he's now 14 months old). He consistently has half solid/half runny or mushy poop. Went to the vet, ran some tests for B12 levels (I don't recall the exact tests) and his levels were normal, so she gave me Hills I/D kibble and wet (refused the wet). That didn't work, so she then gave me Royal Canin Chicken HP kibble. HIs poop was ok (formed, no mushy poop, but a bit soft), but I wanted to transition him to something that wasn't so outrageously expensive. I transitioned him to Tiki Chicken kibble and the half solid/mushy poop returned. After a month, I transitioned him to Instinct Ultimate Protein Chicken. His poop was great while on the UP except he was only going every 2.5 - 3 days and going in and out of his box. His regular frequency is every 36 hours or so. After a month of UP, I then transitioned him to Instinct Chicken kibble since I had luck with the Ultimate Protein. He's been on that for the past month and he's back to his half solid/half soft,mushy poop.

He also eats Weruva Tuna Slide and Serve for his two meals with the dry food. I feed him the kibble on top of the Weruva because he'd have to eat an enormous amount of Weruva to meet his daily caloric requirement (he's a big 14.5 pound cat), and he'll only eat the Weruva Tuna and won't touch anything else. I thought maybe the Tuna was the problem, so I cut out the Tuna and only gave him dry for 2 weeks but no change in poop. I'm also hesitant to cut out the Tuna since he's not a big water drinker and needs to eat wet food for the moisture.

All this to say....any suggestions on what to do next if anything? I've been trying to look for kibble that is somewhat low on the carbs 15% or under and it's quite a challenge. The UP was the best of the bunch, but don't think pooping every 2-3 days is healthy. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. When you say that if he only goes every 2.5-3 days, he goes in and out of the box. Do you mean he poops outside the box? Is that because the stool is hard? If so, it could be that it hurts him to go and that is why he avoids the box.

Since you had better overall results with UP, try the canned version just to see if he will eat it. If he would eat the canned that would help with moisture, and perhaps he would go back to his regular frequency. You can also try to crumble some of the UP kibble on top of the canned version in case that might help entice him to eat. Or, mix them together as another 'experiment'. And, if he just won't go for the canned, you can try to moisten the UP kibble with water to see if he will eat it that way. If he does, hopefully you are adding enough water to help with his BMs.

Have you considered getting him a water fountain to see if that might interest him enough to drink more water?