Food options for a picky cat with possible ibs/ibd

Tayluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat has been experiencing loose stools for at least a month now. I took him to the vet recently after trying pumpkin and anti-diarrheal medicines and got a fecal exam resulting in a negative test. The vet speculates it could be his stomach not agreeing with his Fancy Feast Classic Pate anymore. He's been eating the seafood options for over a year now and has been a seafood boy all of his 9 years. The vet recommended I change his food to rabbit, duck, or venison. It's so hard finding good limited food with only duck or rabbit. I settled on Merrick Limited Ingredient duck wet food even though it has guar gum, but he isn't a fan. I'm not sure if I can even get him to transition 100% and cant hand feed him every day. I seriously think he hates anything that isn't fish. We aren't 100% sure fish is causing him problems, guar gum, additives, or just Fancy Feast. I bought Blue Buffalo Basics Sensitive Stomach and Skin Duck and Potato dry food for him to try soon, giving him Proviable probiotics, and waiting for his Metronidazole liquid medicine (he refused those nasty pills). I'm hoping the diarrhea will go away after he gets this medicine, but what if it doesn't? I assume it has to be the food after that. I guess my questions are.. What wet food recommendations do you guys have for a picky seafood lover? Is the dry food option I picked okay? I thought about trying Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach wet food or Tiki Cat After Dark pate or mousse despite some people saying to avoid guar gum, xanthan gum, etc. Opinions on these wet foods? I just don't see how I can get him to eat anything but fish, Fancy Feast, or even avoid these bad gum additives and carrageenan (they are EVERYWHERE). I've thought about just putting him on dry food (I know.. but I'm desperate) that would agree with him and looking into some liquid for that hydration (like the Tiki Cat mousse) despite these having gums, etc. I just really need some wet/dry recommendations for his sensitive stomach and possible ibs/ibd problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tayluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I did ask for advice somewhere else and was told to refuse all kinds of gums in cat food. I've been trying to find food to avoid these ingredients because of that advice but not 100% sure this is the best route anyway

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, the liquid Metro is horribly bitter, so good luck giving it to him. You might be better off giving it in pill form and putting the pill inside an empty pill capsule so he can't taste it. Maybe there is something here that will help you in getting it into him: Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication

Next, if the Vet thinks he has IBD, kibble is the worst thing he can eat. As to the rest, here is a thread that discusses carrageenan and gum free foods: Wet food with no gums besides Tiki Cat or Whole Hearted?. Perhaps if you can find a manufacturer that works, then you can narrow it down to a limited ingredient. In the beginning, you may need to use a fishy topper (like bonita flakes) to draw his attention to the new food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what to suggest feeding but I'd highly recommend starting a journal to keep track of what you feed and what symptoms you observe. It's one of the best ways to sort out what ingredient is causing problems.

Nearly anything can cause digestive symptoms so it's hard to say what to new to try and what to eliminated. What dry food are you feeding?

I can say this: fish is a common problem and (again, without knowing exactly what you're feeding) I'd probably try cutting back on that first. One of our cats has all sorts of sensitivities, including definite problems with potato and agar-agar, and likely problems with fish, tapioca, and xanthan gum. There are lots of others things, like carrageenan, all grains, and anything carby, that I simply don't feed. In our experience, the best way to start is with the simplest possible recipes, preferably just meat and necessary nutrients. Of course, those foods are hard to find. And of course every cat is different, which is (to circle back!) why keeping an incident and feeding log can be so helpful.

Good luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could never get any cat to eat the Merrick LID diets. It's a weird texture and smell.

Instinct also has LID diets and wellness has a sensitive stomach.

You might try Perfect Portions as the Ingredients are surprisingly limited.

I also did have good luck with the Purina EN food which is for IBD. It is a prescription diet. My one cat did refuse it (Magnus can't eat a whole can on his own and won't eat it after the fridge), but I just sprinkled some flotiflora on it, solving the issue.