Food help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine
UK does have different foods than USA.
I can't afford high quality every day so i would like to mix in the watered down whiskas and Sheba and other super market foods.
I like what you said about the methigel in gel form. It makes sense now.
It's really hard I was told I couldn't have human babies so my 5 cats were and still are my babies. I just can't afford to feed the high end foods as we need to make sure we have emergency fund for the kitties vets.
Thanks again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you feel. My animals are my babies too. I think all any of us can do is the best we can with what we have - and remember that there's no guarantee Domino would eat the high end food even if money was no object. So long as it's a complete and balanced food the best food is the one the cat will eat! :catguy:

Ultimately, trust your instincts as well as your vet. That's what I do :)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious...does your vet sell these foods? I'd personally question it when a vet only recommends specific brands. Vets can be paid to endorse certain brands to their customers.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I did a google search and found an article that explains how methigel works. One of the statements is
you should not give your pet this supplement if you already alter his urine pH levels through other means, such as diet.
, which may be the reason your vet doesn't want you to feed prescription food. Have you asked her why she is so insistent about limiting you to just the two nonprescription brands?

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GoldyCat GoldyCat
Vet wants to switch from the hills cd to OTC food with methigel because all my cats eat the cd and don't have urinary issues therefor its not healthy for my other cats.
She believes they are the only quality foods out there. She does like solid gold but my cats will only eat the dry and I want them back on a wet food diet.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@GoldyCat
Vet wants to switch from the hills cd to OTC food with methigel because all my cats eat the cd and don't have urinary issues therefor its not healthy for my other cats.
She believes they are the only quality foods out there. She does like solid gold but my cats will only eat the dry and I want them back on a wet food diet.
So your vet wants you to feed either   Iams  , Hills Science Diet , or Eukanuba ?  Dry or Wet ?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My vet said no purina, friskies or meow mix.

OK, I'm back again, and have really highlighted some of your posts of things your Vet has said to bring them to the forefront and make sure I am really understanding.  Some of them need no comment

She wants him on a low phos, mag and ash diet over the counter as the hills C/D brought him up to 21 lbs.
It's been 2 years if clean urinalysis no crystals nothing. So at him being 21 lbs she thinks reg food with methigel is better than feeding all 5 of my cats hillsC/D.
You actually posted this two statements one right after another, possibly after having a phone conversation with your Vet.  The first says low phos, low mag and low ash OTC food, and the other says regular food.  Which are we really looking for at this point?   Guess I'm asking, what do you (or does your Vet) mean by regular food....OTC? or NOT low phos, mag and/or ash?  Honestly, I don't think there IS a low phos, etc. NON-RX food made by any of "her" brands. 

When he starts the Methigel, I'm guessing you'll be testing his PH levels weekly? 

Well,just remember, you pay HER, not the other way around.  If she wants you to buy really expensive food, then ask her if she wants to pay for it
.  She is simply there to advise you, but you ultimately make the choice, not her.  Ask questions, and, since you are paying her, get her to answer WHY some of your choices are not good enough..  Show her ingredients, one against the other of the Purina or whatever, against the Hills.  Chances are they are very similar.  Seriously have her explain why Hills is better.  I know she sells it, but think it is because the Hills reps have sold HER on it.  Same as some Vets push Purina, and others push Royal Canin.  .
 Just reiterating this statement.  You said she clammed up when you asked her about this.  Seriously, unless you really plan on feeding one of the 3 foods she "allows", and can afford to do that, then she needs to do some research for you and come up with answers (IMHO)
She wants him on low calorie food
I want him on a wet food IMO it's better than the dry as he won't eat the rx wet. She thinks DRY OTC is fine as long as its hills, iams etc.

Completely agree with you.  Wet, wet, wet.  Especially since he needs to lose weight.  The only reason I can think of for a crystal kitty to be on dry food is if that's the ONLY prescription food they will eat.  But since he's going off the prescription food, I'm SHOCKED she said dry would be ok.  Actually, based on everything else concerning food, I'm not really
.  BTW, I have a "pudgy" boy myself, and our Vet advised we add in some canned pumpkin to his wet food to help make him feel a little more full, as I weigh everything I feed him, based on the number of calories in whatever he is eating for that meal, and canned pumpkin is very low in cals.  She thought he might feel more full that way.  I haven't tried it yet, but keep thinking about it.  I can always make some pumpkin bread with the leftovers if he doesn't like it

So....you've got some decisions to  make, and not sure we can help you since your Vet is so dead set on your choices

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens
She told me she wants him low ash etc food and that hills or iams would be fine.
She only want to do a urinalisys after 6 weeks of being solely on OTC food and methigel.
I asked about ph testing at home and she said she wasn't sure if they sold cat ph test strips.
I really think I will do my homework and find a wet that has an analysis close to OTC hills regarding ash, magnesium and phosphorus. and just buy that food and see how it goes. She already ordered the methigel for me so that's not an issue.
I do want either a low carb or grain free wet as I've read high protien diets are what cats naturally eat.
Thank you and for everyone for the help. I wil keep updated. And if anyone knows if there are cat urine ph test strips give me a shout please.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Based on this thread:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240333/urine-ph-test-strips  I don't think you need CAT specific PH strips.  Just PH strips

Good luck with the weight loss for him, AND keeping his PH in check.  Keep us posted.  I, personally, would be checking his PH every week, because stones aren't anything to mess around with, as I'm sure you are well aware.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens
I will be checking urine ph weekly. Thanks for your help and I will keep this thread updated.
His methigel should be at vets tomorow

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found feline / canine urine ph strips at my local holistic pet store. 16.00 for 50 strips yahooo

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got dominos methigel and urine strips today. We are going with Dave's wet cat food. It's grain free, kinda affordable and as far as I see it looks like a good food.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like pretty decent food to me :)

Just go easy on the fish/seafood flavours - you still have a reasonable choice without them though.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Columbine Columbine
I bought no fish or seafood. It was 1.95 US dollars for a 12.5 oz can.
We have chicken, turkey, beef and turkey and giblets.
My urinary boy turned his nose up at it as did his sibling sister. They've been on hills cd for 5 years of they're 7 year life.
My other 3 gobbled it up like it was the best thing in the world.
My domino ( urinary boy ) did have some hills cd about 3 hours before I fed the Dave's.
so I pulled up the cd until morning and I will serve daves for breakfast and if not i will make sure he and his sister eat,
Won't happen overnight but I have the patience of a saint.
Cross fingers the siblings eat it.

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! i was worried about them being manufactured in tailand as well but if oyu go to their website they have a frequently asked questions section and it explains WHY they manufacture there. if youre still worried wellness is a brand i have had my cat on for a while and also max cat! you said your cat hates pate, the max cat has lil chunks of meat and my cat who is a very picky eater LOVES it. 

heres some info about weruva and a link to some of the cat food i give my boy

http://www.weruva.com/tid-bits-deta...-why-don-t-you-make-your-products-in-the-US-2
http://www.weruva.com/tid-bits-detail.php?Is-Weruva-human-grade-9

my cat has had crystals and UTIs and the PU surgery so i have been through the whole food research thing before. i also add a few things to his wet food just to be safe. 

this is a urine acidifier. their urine being acidic helps to break down and prevent crystals 

these are cranberry pills to help prevent utis. my cat like i said before is a picky eater but he eats these as if they were treats!

this is cosequin which is usually used as a joint supplement for cats and dogs BUT it also helps maintain the lining of the cats bladder! i give my cat on capsule (i break it open and sprinkle it in his food) twice a day with meals!