Food for a cat with severe allergies

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uno has chicken allergies, and I have found that California Natural has been the best, although someone mentioned that they had been changing their formulas, I had not heard that. I also work for an all cat hospital and IVD carries plenty of allergy diets-Lamb and Rice, Duck and green pea, Rabbit and green pea, Fish and rice and Venison and Potato. Science Diet also carries Z/d which is supposed to be an allergy diet as well. I would not recommend the Z/D as several clients have been calling lately stating that their cats will no longer eat the food, it smells bad and their cats have diarrhea, now keep in mind these are all cats that have been on this for a while now and just recieved new bags of food. Not sure what that is about, but we have left messages for our Science Diet representative, no call back yet.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittycorner

I have found that California Natural has been the best, although someone mentioned that they had been changing their formulas, I had not heard that.
I don't know if California Naturals has changed their formula, but I noticed they had new packaging. When Natura changed packaging on some of the other foods in the fall, the formula also changed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I don't know if California Naturals has changed their formula, but I noticed they had new packaging. When Natura changed packaging on some of the other foods in the fall, the formula also changed.
they did added white rice ( IMO not a big deal but many have issue) ... and rosemary it was the third formula in about a yr

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has wicked food allergies... he seems to do best when fish is the main protein source. He's also allergic to peas xD

SO anyway, right now he's on Herring and Sweet Potatoe. Someone here recommended Canine Caviar, which happens to make raw beaver, so we're going to try that. Anyway you could give the Herring and Sweet Potatoe a shot. Addiction has a Unagi & Seaweed, also a Brushtail and Vegetable which might be novel enough for your cat if you can find it.

Napolean is reacting the herring and sweet potatoe so we're going to try the canine Caviar and also see about a brand called "Orijen" which is like 75% fish and has no grains.

Also the allergist I talked to told me that cats with food allergies will be fine on a food for months and then start to react, so you're pretty much stuck rotating their foods their whole lives. So if your cat is reacting to Natural balance, put them on something else for a while, and you can rotate back to that food eventually to try it out again.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Orijen fish variety may just be in Canada for now (according to their website). While I really liked their original formula (until one of my cats developed some sort of allergy to something), I would hesistate to use their fish formula as it has leeks. Since leeks are a type of onion, and onions (cooked or raw) can be very toxic, I am very concerned about their use in a cat food which would be fed on a daily basis. Also, I wrote an email to them expressing my concerns almost two weeks ago, and I have not heard anything in response. I hope they reformulate it without the leeks.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Orijen fish variety may just be in Canada for now (according to their website).
Hmmm that's interesting. A store here in oregon was able to order it for me. It's hopefully coming tomorrow. Hopefully it's the right food!

Another food I totally forgot to mention is Ziwi Peak. They have an all Venison formula that's just dried meat. It's really expensive, like 12.99 for 14oz. But it's a great food as well. It's kind of hard to come by, but most stores even if they don't stock it, will order it for you.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's possible there website is out-of-date.
I hope so because it would be crummy if they got the wrong food. [Although not shocking...]