Food Change

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

We recently switched our cats food and they are now fully over onto their new food and have been for about a week or so.
Well this morning I noticed that one of our cats had some diarrhea and I am just curious if her tummy could react after already being switched to the new food or if it could be something else?

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! A week, at least in my experience seems kind of a long time plus the additional transition time, but it's certainly possible it's the food.
Do you happen to know if your municiple water department made any changes, in case you don't already filter the water? Before I put a faucet end filter on the kitchen sink, I could always smell when they'd bumped up the chlorine, and one or two times just prior to that filter going on there was a distinct sort of sulphur-ish weird odor...
In any case, if the cats haven't been in to the vet for a while, it might not be a bad thing to get them in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We give them bottled water actually because our well water isn’t that great.
They were just at the vet within a couple months when they were spayed/neutered. They’re still only 8 months old as well.
I’ll keep an eye on her and make sure that she’s not still having poops like that.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully your girl is all better now? Mine will sometimes get a little upset tummy, if it doesnt last more than a day i dont worry too much. They all 4 pased a bug around a few weeks ago. one right after the other they had diarhea for a day or so, and no food changes here. :oops:

If it continues it may be that the food does not agree with her. My guys love Farmina dry food, and 3 do great with it. But there is the one, after eating it 3 or 4 days in a row he always gets soft poo. something in it just does not work well for him.

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s doing much better! I think I was just stressing too much because it was only one poop. Everything is new for us with these two because we have never really owned cats before, dogs but not cats. So I’m just a worry wart I guess! :dunno:

They’re on Acana and they both seek to love it - how much food do you give your cats?
I’ve been giving them 3/4 cup twice a day for the both, not individually.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she is doing better!

I feed both wet and dry to my 4. they all get a 3oz can in the am and the pm. sometimes they finish it all, sometimes they don't. But the wet i feed is pretty low calorie and low fat. Weruva, Tiki Cat, Almo nature, fussie cat, and some earthborn, several other brands thrown in for variety as well. So i put out about 2/3 cup of dry for the 4 to share. Sometimes they finish that in a day, but normally more like a day and a half.

I let them eat, i just watch to make sure no one is getting fat, or too skinny, and we have our yearly vet visits, where he checks their body condition pretty close. So far, so good. :heartshape:

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to be able to feed wet and dry but one would eat the others and I’m not home to be able to make sure they both get their fair share!

I’m going to have to look up how much I should be giving them. I’m unsure because so many charts are different and they’re still only 8 months.
I just never know what to listen to! :dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
At only 8 months I'm thinking they still need to eat as much as they'll consume, and that's variable so maybe that's why charts don't agree?

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are so many different things that the internet tells us, it can get frustrating! And then the vet tells you something totally different.