Food Budget

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I spend approx. £82 a month on food alone for Bella and Cindy. I free feed them Royal Canin Pure Feline dry food and they also get tins of Pets At Home fish selection. Downgrading the quality of their food simply isn't an option as far as I am concerned (it's a good job I have a decent job that pays decent money!)

wayside

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not planning on switching brands, but I do keep an eye on the prices at different stores.

In my experience, the cheaper foods aren't really cheaper. You feed more of them, and can end up needing to supplement.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually comforting to read this as I have a few friends who tell me I spend way too much on cat food and litter.

I spend about $30-$40 a month on food and maybe $20 on litter, but I grab the coupons whenever I see them at Petsmart. If it keeps the cats healthy, I don't mind that...bu then I grew up in a family with 3 bigs dogs and a $120+ a month food bill, so the cats don't seem pricey at all.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Currently with my 3 kittens (6 1/2 months old) I'm spending about $60/month on all cat food and litter. Hubby just pointed this out to me the other day while at Walmart buying canned food. I am having to change the proportion of dry/wet food I'm feeding because I just can't afford to do 50/50 anymore. Hopefully when they are old enough to eat adult food it will help because I won't need to feed them as much per pound of body weight, and I'll have more flexibility brand-wise with the canned food.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am over 200 miles from the closest petsmart so I am at the mercy of buying my cats the best that is available to me. I have my choices of science diet, Iams and the chicken soup for cat lovers soul dry food. Good wet food is even more of a challenge to get here. When I went to Colorado this past summer I stopped in Cheyenne Wy and bought them some wellness wet food and they Hated it!!! I am getting nervous about our economy and have decided to stock pile big bags of dry food that maybe a little less in quality but will be only used in an emergency situation. They will still continue on with their normal diets. I always put my cats food above my own diet.